Official Rampage Extreme Review/Overclock/Guide Thread

Associate
Hi everyone, i am from Czech republik and i need help. I have Rampage Extreme x48 and i have problem with my RAM modules. (Corsair 2x2gb DDRIII 1600mhz CL7 Twin3X4096-1600C7DHX). BIOS is 0501 and if i run my system on default (1600mhz cl 7-7-7-20) = blue death.
My system is stable only if i get 1200 - 1300mhz with the same timming (7-7-7-20).

So sorry for my terrible english:) and thanks for help.

Associate
Hi, just a quick memory question, i know from this thread which memory is compatible with this board but just wanted to confirm that the Corsair Dominator memory TW3X4G1800C8DF is good. I'd go for the cheaper 1600 MHz sticks if they are more compatible. Sorry for the nub question...im about to take of the stock cooling and apply some AS5...wish me luck :eek:

EDIT Just re read some of the earlier posts and the 1800 MHz Dominators will be fine with a q9650, sorry for the bump....

Last edited:
Associate
Me again...just taken of the heat sinks and fusion block. Whilst taking off the stock cooling (very carefully) I noticed one of the chips next to the Northbridge has come away from its seating. I only bought the board last week and have barely touched it as I'm waiting for some TIM cleaners and AS5 to come tomorrow, and so slightly annoyed. What i want to know is would it be worth trying to fix this myself or should I RMA it? Especially since i have just taken off the cooling :/

You can see the metal finger has broken away from the side of the chip. The other side is fine, but im not sure how i would fix this? I would probably go for some good ole gluing action but am not sure if this would be advisable.

Associate
hi, I would think you have lost your guarantee now.
It would be put down as user damage, especially if you bought it from overclockers now you have shown pic.

Associate
yeah i thought that might be the case....any suggestions for the best way to fix this problem...? I'm not even sure how much of an effect this would have, but I would obviously like it to fit securely, even if it means getting my soldering iron out....:( I was wondering if superglue would do the trick, not sure if i could use it (electrical/thermal properties? A quick glance on Wikipedia seems to show that it will be okay)...

Associate
hi, you could try super glue under the component, and try the conductive paint motor shops sell to repair heated windscreens.

no idea if it work on this tho.

Associate
Me again...just taken of the heat sinks and fusion block. Whilst taking off the stock cooling (very carefully) I noticed one of the chips next to the Northbridge has come away from its seating. I only bought the board last week and have barely touched it as I'm waiting for some TIM cleaners and AS5 to come tomorrow, and so slightly annoyed. What i want to know is would it be worth trying to fix this myself or should I RMA it? Especially since i have just taken off the cooling :/

You can see the metal finger has broken away from the side of the chip. The other side is fine, but im not sure how i would fix this? I would probably go for some good ole gluing action but am not sure if this would be advisable.
first thihg it is not a chip it is a power resistor if the top of it is ok where the solder lug goes you will be ok to do this use some liquid solder from rs components i would not advise you to put heat on unless you are good at soldering it should work fine hope it helps

Associate
ahh wasn't sure what it was thanks for the clarification. I think i'll give soldering a go, i havent got much experience but i think i can do a patch on this, thanks for the replies :)

Associate
Apologies in advance but I am a bit of a novice with the overclocking.

I have a Q9650 on a Rampage Extreme
With Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 DHX Memory

This memory is not XMP.

For some reason, if everything is left to auto, the memory is running too slow (around 800Mhz if I recall correctly), so I started by setting the memory to 1333Mhz in the BIOS. This worked fine.

Then I tried a moderate overclock, by setting FSB to 400. This resulted in an easy and successful overclock to 3.6GHz, but once again the memory was at a strange low clock. So I then tried to set this to 1600Mhz.

However after setting it to 1600Mhz, the system became unstable. When booting the BIOS printout shows 1600Mhz. On the one time I booted okay with it, the reading in CPU-Z didn't match 1600Mhz..but I didn't see it long enough to read it.

Am I missing something really obvious here? Or did I buy nasty RAM that doesn't work with this board as it isn't XMP certified. As it is perfectly stable at 1333Mhz I can't believe the RAM is faulty.

The memory voltage should be fine on Auto as I am not overclocking the RAM, just trying to run it at its max. BIOS reports that it is using 9-9-9-24 at 1600Mhz which is correct.

Last edited:
Associate
Apologies in advance but I am a bit of a novice with the overclocking.

I have a Q9650 on a Rampage Extreme
With Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 DHX Memory

This memory is not XMP.

For some reason, if everything is left to auto, the memory is running too slow (around 800Mhz if I recall correctly), so I started by setting the memory to 1333Mhz in the BIOS. This worked fine.

Then I tried a moderate overclock, by setting FSB to 400. This resulted in an easy and successful overclock to 3.6GHz, but once again the memory was at a strange low clock. So I then tried to set this to 1600Mhz.

However after setting it to 1600Mhz, the system became unstable. When booting the BIOS printout shows 1600Mhz. On the one time I booted okay with it, the reading in CPU-Z didn't match 1600Mhz..but I didn't see it long enough to read it.

Am I missing something really obvious here? Or did I buy nasty RAM that doesn't work with this board as it isn't XMP certified. As it is perfectly stable at 1333Mhz I can't believe the RAM is faulty.

The memory voltage should be fine on Auto as I am not overclocking the RAM, just trying to run it at its max. BIOS reports that it is using 9-9-9-24 at 1600Mhz which is correct.

Read the rest of the thread dude... Dominator isnt best for this board!
sorry...
RMA and get some G.Skill

Associate
Read the rest of the thread dude... Dominator isnt best for this board!
sorry...
RMA and get some G.Skill

Ah ok. I saw some Dominator memory being used okay as per the first post in the thread. I guess there was some other news regarding this type of memory in the middle of the thread somewhere.

Thanks for the advice..looks like a memory change coming up then.

Associate
fixed

Hey guys. Just to let you know, I figured out what my OC and stability problems were.

Stupid little thing really.
I did not set my OCZ Reaper to 1.9v in the bios. I was having lockup problems even at stock voltage playing games every single time.

Once I set it to 1.9 in the bios BOOM, every problem I had is now fixed. I even clocked her back to 3.6 which would never work solid: now rock stable!!!!

Soldato
E3110 at stock @3Ghz memory at 1333mhz

beginning.gif

E3100 at stock @3Ghz memory at 2000mhz @ 10-10-10-27

500fsb.gif

This board is a dream to play with. E3110 (wolfdale) OC on air 4.2Ghz as i have not as of yet put the chip underwater. The south bridge is under water using the stock WB

oce3100.gif

Will post back prime stable pic

Pi 1m run. Will tweak the memory timings for a faster run

ocpicalculation.gif

Last edited:
Associate
Help please

My Specs
Asus Rampage Extreme motherboard
2 x 4870X2 sapphire Graphics cards
2 x 300GB velociraptor hard drives
Pioneer Blu-ray drive
Vista 64 Ultimate (OEM)

I am having problems installing a Raid0 set-up on a new water-cooled build with the two velociraptor hard drives. I have set the BIOS to control the hard drives as raid, and have created a Raid0 pairing with the raptor via the Intel matrix storage manager.

Then when it tries to boot up I get the following error message:
Reboot and select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

I have tried to install vista without using the raid0 and setting the BIOS to default (IDE) it works every time?

Is there something else I have to set in the BIOS?

Any help would be appreciated as I am stumped. I have been going round in circles for hours, I tried googling but found no fix.

Associate
Hi all, well i decided to persevere with my build and have managed to get the system to turn on. Below are a couple of pics of my system setup etc. Excuse the messy cables and the keyboard, (a dell from 1999, cant believe it still works...). I still need to reseat the CPU heatsink as temps are around 48 degrees c.

Anyway im now onto the hard part and am looking for some advice concerning bios setup. I'm assuming im gonna have to update to the latest bios using EZ Flash, but I know that it depends on your setup as to what bios version best to flash to.

My specs are
Q9650
Corsair 1800Mhz DDR3 Dominators Cas 8
Asus 4870x2
WD Velociraptor 300gb
I'm intending to run Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

Also looking for some bios settings for this CPU and Memory for a nice overclock if anyone can help me out. I've had a brief look at some other peoples setup but I've never overclocked so am a little stuck.

Soldato
Old thread revival but need some help guys :)

Currently running 490x9 as sig 8 hour prime stable, really want to go for 500x9 :D

However I can only get a system boot if i set the strap to 400 and set the RAM down to 1333mhz, if i select 1500Mhz on 400 strap it sticks at DET DRAM. This is no matter what volts I choose for vcore, pll, vtt, nb etc.

Leaving it on 400 strap and upping the fsb (and volts) i have had system boots of over 4.6ghz, its just setting it any higher than 1333mhz is i get DET DRAM error.

Going to try the 403 bios now but dont think this will make a difference

Associate
general info

i am ordering the parts for my new pc build and ive seen a lot of people say that the dominator ram works fine and some say it is not so great with this board,
so before i order i would like to know is this ram going to work ok
or shall i go for the G-skill althou the G-skill stuff on ocuk seems doesnt seem as high end,
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-168-CS
i would appreciate it if people with this motherboard post me the best type ram to go for and at the same kind of price of the dominator ram i was going to order,
thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom