*** Official Rugby League SLXXIV Thread ***

Soldato
OP
For as good as Salford were last night (they were excellent), Wigan were absolutely dire. Kicking out on the full twice, conceding three penalties in the first ten minutes alone, passing the ball out of play, dropping the ball at the play the ball, holding down, obstructions. A very disappointing semi final but I think I'll be going to OT with a Salford mate.

For balance though, there are still a number of criticisms to level at Salford, they seemingly put all their TV money into their first team squad. The result: no academy, no reserves, no u19s, no local player development.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Wolfpack promoted. An extra £150k in Rovers coffers I guess as they won't take central funding. Looked a good atmosphere and crowd there to be fair. Always going to be divisive though. My dad will be frothing with rage right now, guaranteed!

Associate
You can't really say that Wigans last 2 perfromances were the worst of the season as they were dire in Feb to May and only really picked up in mid season. Salford were great though and good luck to them on Saturday. Watching it in the pub though. Not fully convinced that Hastings will actually end up at Wigan until I see him run out for his first game.

Would need a nice lottery win for me to afford an away trip to Toronto, but I'm quite positive about them. I think they'll get a few good hidings away on larger pitches against the better teams, but it depends who they bring in.

I have enjoyed watching the Championship games and I hope we see more on TV next year

NRL GF was a good game. Wanted Canberra to win, but Roosters are just too good - they looked well beaten but came back to win (albeit with a bit of help from the ref)

Associate
Best team won and are desreved champions. Sts front row will match any team anywhere at the moment

Thought they got every 50/50 call all night, but suppose that balances out when they couldn't get anything at Wembley.

Interesting to see if Hastings gets the call for the GB tour tomorrow. Comfortably the best 7 in SL

Associate
I think we need a salary cap, but it needs to be reviewed each season. I think its gone up once in the last 10 years. Otherwise we'll continue to lose our best (bateman) and our middling (Williams) to the NRL (not so much RU at the moment). I think the salary cap has served to level standards down and has been driven by the smaller clubs. Take Sts out of the picture and its been very close his season, but the St steam from 10 years ago would have torn the current team to bits.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Are we doing a Super League thread this year?

Season starting on a bit of a downer - Wigan v Warrington, and Wigan's Sam Powell has been knocked spark out by a high arm from Chris Hill while trying to score a try :(

Back
Top Bottom