• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Official RX580,RX570,RX560 and RX550 series review thread

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Wait and see. This is an AMD with a plan which has been cooking for a few years. We've seen some fruit with Ryzen now to see what they have in store with Vega.

I don't think AMD plan in dropping the gaming market. And you know if it! Its a big money spinner. Why would AMD come out with a new CPU architecture and make noises about how 8 is the new 4, plow so much investment and time in to seeding Dev kits and start announcing Dev partnerships if they plan in dropping the game.... :rolleyes:

Personally I think that Nvidia will be dropping the discrete GPU market to focus on the more lucrative automobile market. More people drive cars than need discrete GPU's. :p:p:p

Why would either of them drop out? They can do multiple things at once you know :p

Raven comes off a little butthurt. Just because AMD are late to the high end pc gaming, does not mean they should pack up shop. As long as there is profit to make they will continue and should do. Otherwise we will all get milked like never before.

Associate
There seems to be a lot of negative comments about the RX580, but is there actually anything wrong with it? Rebranding with a slightly higher clock isn't exactly a new trick is it (R9 290 to R9 390).

I don't think I'm the only one though who would rather seen them make an RX 490 - an upgrade over the 480 and something to compete with the 1070 even if it was slightly less powerful but cheaper, there's a huge price gap between the 480/580/1060 to 1070, and correct me if I'm wrong but is Vega supposed to compete with the 1080? Why is there this gap?

Soldato
There seems to be a lot of negative comments about the RX580, but is there actually anything wrong with it? Rebranding with a slightly higher clock isn't exactly a new trick is it (R9 290 to R9 390).

I don't think I'm the only one though who would rather seen them make an RX 490 - an upgrade over the 480 and something to compete with the 1070 even if it was slightly less powerful but cheaper, there's a huge price gap between the 480/580/1060 to 1070, and correct me if I'm wrong but is Vega supposed to compete with the 1080? Why is there this gap?

Dunno. You have a point, but it's probably because AMD think that this price bracket £200 - £300 is where most people sit and in order to gain market share that's the market segment that they have concentrated on.

Associate
Just ordered my AMD rx580 8gb Nitro+
Can't wait to push it over 1.5ghz if lucky...
Perfect for my price bracket and going for the 570 made no sense seeing as the 8gb card is on £20 less than the 580 8gb version...

I did see the 480 red devil at £209 and was hovering my finger over the buy button for...like...3 days...
Glad I held back as will have that little bit extra performance...

Whichever way you look at it...the 470-480 570-580
They are still decent cards for 1080p gaming...

Personay i want to make the jump to 1440p hence why I went for the 580 and the nitro+ by Sapphire got some really good reviews for low noise and super cool temps even overclocked...

Can't wait!

Anymore else got this card already? What do you think?

Soldato

The 390 did at least have faster ram.

Soldato
Well after only having the 2 x 580's for 3 days I've decided they are going back, Not happy with them at all, The Crossfire issues don't bother me as 1 was eventually going to go into my LAN rig and the other into my HTPC but the performance is just not there.

AMD badly need to bring something competitive out.

shame to hear their going back but sure Vega or a Ti would do you proud.

as for competitive- thats coming from "us" hard core pcmaster race, in terms of competitiveness its bang on their with 1060 and units sold. Vega when it comes out will never hit the volume sold of marketshare gained from the 400/500 series.

but yeah from a marketing point of view, Vega needs to smash the Ti which will in turn lead to more 500 series sales.

just wishing I didn't water cool my 1070 on z270 format as its a pain trying to test 2x 580 on Ryzen at the moment :(

Soldato
Thought post this up for any 580/Aorus owners , running bench marks with the Aorus XTR and temps staying under 60c (no start demos) with 1080p- 1440p . having used a few 480s impressed with the 580 so far, although no sure that's down solely to the massive Heatsink on the XTR version with good air flow or AMDs revised chip....

Soldato
They wouldn't be getting as much stick if they branded them as 475/485.

How do you work that out? the name doesn't change a thing. If they'd called the cards Auntie Barbara and Uncle Cecil, they'd still be refreshes with small performance increases (at the cost of power consumption) over the 480 whilst costing on release quite a bit more. They are what they are calling them a 475 or 485 doesn't make a difference. They are what we can all see them to be, refreshed cards which are currently worse bang for buck than the cards they replaced, which is absolutely standard for refreshes on release.

Soldato
If nVidia started to support Freesync then their sales would just simply explode. They're idiots imo.
I agree but i think nvidia are worried about Gsync starting to get made irrelevant. It could mean more people are inclined to buy Async monitors because they are cheaper. nVidia can never support FreeSync as that is AMD's driver lol. But i would love it if they did support Async monitors. So much more choice. But like i mentioned above that's why i think nVidia wont. Not to mention it makes switching even easier lol.

Caporegime
It could mean more people are inclined to buy Async monitors because they are cheaper.

I think that the small amount nVidia will make from the Gsync module means that wouldn't really be relevant, but yes I can see them supporting Async rather than 'Freesync' as it were. That way they wouldn't lose face :)

Soldato
I dont think nvidia makes enough on the G-sync modules for them to care about those sales alone from a profit perspective. It's all about keeping people locked to the green ecosystem and you see similar behavior with other companies ranging from Tech to cars. It's common practice these days. Which is why I believe nvidia would have to be somehow forced to support adaptive sync before that actually happens. They would rather take a loss on the G-sync modules I think

Back
Top Bottom