Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO from Digital River-

I got the non SP1 ISO's a while ago from Digital river for both x86 and x64 then removed the ei.cfg file. Means you are then prompted which version you wish to install.. Home premium, Professional etc. Very handy to have. Can't be bothered doing it all again with the SP1 ISO's mind :D

anyone know if a key from an upgrade version of win7 64bit will work / activate ok with these iso's ??
as i presume these iso's are the same as full retail versions and not upgrade disks

I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to install the full version you want then get to the desktop
restart the setup from the dvd and chose the same HD but chose Upgrade then register it. Google may help you.

Yeah you can do a clean install using an upgrade key. I've got a student upgrade 64bit key myself and do it all the time. Not entirely sure if I'm allowed to link on here though, should be pretty easy to find the method if you Google 'Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version' ;)

Could have just used forum search tbh..

Install, reinstall & activate. You have to have windows installed for it to work but it doesn't mean you have to have that old copy of xp in the drawer installed, it can be any windows. Just as it could be any windows that entitled you to buy it.

If you put it on a flash drive it will add a whole 10 min to install time :) Also don't forget to delete the windows old folder.

Hi folks, thanks for the help so far, i tried google but im more confused now..
I know my upgrade disk will let me do a custom/fresh install.
what im confused about is if I use the iso from digital river (as it has sp1) to install then use my upgrade key to activate will that work ?
Or is microsoft going to think im up to no good

what im confused about is if I use the iso from digital river (as it has sp1) to install then use my upgrade key to activate will that work ?

There's a way around that. If you install it first without a key then install it again but upgrade it then use your upgrade key it should work and all is dandy.

This is how vista worked and this is how Windows 7 works.

This will work, I just did it today. No need to install without entering the key first.

I believe its okay to do so as under the license as long as you have a normal Windows license, that you upgrade from.

As I said...

Yeah you can do a clean install using an upgrade key. I've got a student upgrade 64bit key myself and do it all the time. Not entirely sure if I'm allowed to link on here though, should be pretty easy to find the method if you Google 'Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version' ;)

@ azza
I know how to do a clean install with my upgrade key & disc, im just confused about if i use a full retail ISO off digital river, wil activation still work ok.
I know you say your doing it with no problems as i have done too. I just think it might have been different if I use the iso's instead of the upgrade disk that came with the key.

@sin chase
was the ultimate edition you used 1 of the iso's from digital river ?
if so. .
was it an upgrade key you used to install, & activate it ?

thanks to you both by the way, I know you may think im being a bit thick,
but im just trying to make sure before i go trying these things and maybe getting my key blocked :(

@sin chase
was the ultimate edition you used 1 of the iso's from digital river ?
if so. .
was it an upgrade key you used to install, & activate it ?

thanks to you both by the way, I know you may think im being a bit thick,
but im just trying to make sure before i go trying these things and maybe getting my key blocked :(

Yes, I used the Ultimate ISO linked in the first page. I put it onto a USB drive as an AIO (All-in-one) installer so could choose from Home, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate etc.

The upgrade bit was answered a few posts back, I've never used an upgrade key before :p

Back
Top Bottom