Oh dear they might have died

Associate
PC just froze on me then got a BSOD. Culprit was the nvidia RAID driver. Rebooted and instead of the Windows logo screen there was nothing - just a black screen. Couldnt get into recovery console (froze on checking disk). Managed once to view the partition info in Windows setup - C: was there but it was [Unknown] - d'oh!

MBR corrupted or something? Hope so. Just cleared the array (RAID0) and I'm reinstalling Windows as I type this. So this is good news so far, the disk(s) is not freezing the system anymore.

What can cause MBR corruption? Could this be a sign of poor HDD health? Once Windows is reinstalled I want to check them, so what's the best utility for checking Raptors? They are in RAID config, so it'll either have to be DOS-based or not rely on SMART readings!

Cheers and wish me luck.

Associate
OP
B**ger -failed format. Hopefully one of the disks has died as it will be easier and more convenient to RMA a HDD than my MB. Disabled RAID now and managed to format one of the Raptors, will test the other one once Windows is back.

Associate
OP
This bizarre problem turned out to be the BIOS. Once I had got the drives working again (formatted in another PC), I cleared the CMOS and reloaded the BIOS and all was fine. Prior to this the OS would fail install due to a "non ACPI compliant MB". Crazy.

Back
Top Bottom