• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Oh dear... this might mess things up a bit!! 3070ti and the rest (increased memory)

Associate
I think you're misunderstanding the concept of more VRAM. If you want to use higher textures, or do CAD, 3D rendering or Video work - VRAM is useful. It might not be that useful for gamers initially unless playing at 4K Ultra with everything turned up to 11. It's debatable though if the 3070 will have any use for this at all.

I guess we'll find out. Obviously more VRAM is going to cost more. Whether it's worth it will depend entirely on your use case. Unlikely to affect gaming resolutions below 1440.

You can run FS2020 at 4K Ultra on 3080 with no problem so it's my opinion that 10GB VRAM on the 3xxx series of cards its going to be more than capable for the lifetime of the card (say 3-4 years) at 4K resolution.

And I'm not commenting on CAD or Rendering work, all of these cards are being marketing to consumers primarily for the purposes of gaming. It may well be useful for those workloads but lets be honest, the primary sales market is convincing gamers that they need 16/20GB of VRAM and that's where people will be lining up to pay more money for a card with no discernible benefit.

Associate
OP
the ps5 will be a cut down version no? i think AMD will compete with a 3080 but no higher. its the RT details im interested in.

Yes - it certainly won't be equivalent to the top of line PC card from AMD. But it does share a lot of the Architecture according to Mark Cerny himself. It might give some indication of expected performance but I'll leave the clever people to work on that :)

Associate
how come? I've always had good experience with them. Are the new ones no good?
Ive had a few die on me in the past...I could have just been unlucky, but that's just my own experience from it I guess. Good to know you've had a different experience thought!

Associate
It won't just be a RAM increase though, it will likely be a speed bump, and by that time perhaps better overclocks depending on Samsung are doing producing them.

Associate
OP
You can run FS2020 at 4K Ultra on 3080 with no problem so it's my opinion that 10GB VRAM on the 3xxx series of cards its going to be more than capable for the lifetime of the card (say 3-4 years) at 4K resolution.

And I'm not commenting on CAD or Rendering work, all of these cards are being marketing to consumers primarily for the purposes of gaming. It may well be useful for those workloads but lets be honest, the primary sales market is convincing gamers that they need 16/20GB of VRAM and that's where people will be lining up to pay more money for a card with no discernible benefit.

Yeah, like you say probably no discernible benefit to gaming. Unless you want to run 3 separate games at the same time on your triple monitor setup.... and a VR game. And candy crush on your phone. That's real gaming.

However, you don't appreciate that the bragging rights of having more RAM (even if it's not used) is worth more than anything.

Soldato
What's your ballpark on the price increase? The 3080 is pretty expensive as it is but damn doubling the VRAM would be a big improvement.

I think it’ll take to to $1000... there’s so much space to work with between 3080 and 3090 pricing that it was obvious there was a $1000 or so card to pop in there.

If they end up feeling the pressure from AMD, maybe It’ll go for $900.

Associate
I think it’ll take to to $1000... there’s so much space to work with between 3080 and 3090 pricing that it was obvious there was a $1000 or so card to pop in there.

If they end up feeling the pressure from AMD, maybe It’ll go for $900.
Yeah I'm hoping that AMD release a 3080 like card with 16gb of vram, then hopefully sell that for £649. Probably not going to happen but if they want to destroy nvidia then that could happen :)

Soldato
Ive had a few die on me in the past...I could have just been unlucky, but that's just my own experience from it I guess. Good to know you've had a different experience thought!
i tend to go for their higher end ones with the binned parts, improved caps, quieter fans etc. Not sure which models you'd had. I'm always cynical about getting bottom of the stack models from any manufacturer tbh.

Soldato
im sure i seen that the 16gb ti ones were for oem pc models. cant remember where . wouldnt surprise me though.

3070 yeah, page got hidden after they realised their gaff theres probably a screenshot of it out there somewhere. Definitely adds credence though.

It won't just be a RAM increase though, it will likely be a speed bump, and by that time perhaps better overclocks depending on Samsung are doing producing them.

Like the S/Super cards, yeah. The only question is when, six months, a year? Can't see it happening before the demand for current cards dies down then they'll go out.

Soldato
3070 yeah, page got hidden after they realised their gaff theres probably a screenshot of it out there somewhere. Definitely adds credence though.
the 3070ti was a russian lenovo site. The gigabyte leak is as reported below.
Screenshot-2020-09-18-GIGABYTE-confirms-Ge-Force-RTX-3060-8-GB-RTX-3070-16-GB-and-RTX-3080-20-GB-Vid.png

Like the S/Super cards, yeah. The only question is when, six months, a year? Can't see it happening before the demand for current cards dies down then they'll go out.

won't be until spring I reckon. At the earliest. People keep saying 8nm yields are not high so it will take a while until they are actually available as opposed to "launched"

Back
Top Bottom