Oh look another spec thread!

Associate
So having spent the last few days pouring over reviews and looking through as many forum posts as I could handle I've ended up with a PC that looks roughly like this.

Intel i5-2500k
Noctua NH-D14
Asus P8Z68-V Pro
G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB (DDR3 1600MHz)
MSI GTX 580 Lightning 1536MB
Cooler Master HAF X
Corsair Professional Series AX850
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Samsung SH-B123L/BSBP

Was just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to give that build the once over to assuage any fears I have about it. The only real point of contention I see at the moment is about the cooler, by everything I've read it performs well but I was wondering if the investment in the Corsair H100 might be worth while.

I should also mention that I while the money I intend to spend on this system is not unlimited if there are any meaningful improvements you would make (the exception being jumping to SLI) please feel to say so, obviously this is a computer mainly aimed at playing the latest games I can get my hands on but it'll be doing plenty of work otherwise.

EDIT: The only other thing I was wondering about was if it'd be worth grabbing one of the Gen3 mainboards? The only tangible difference I've seen with them is the PCI-3.0 and from what I've been reading it's highly unlikely that even the next generation of graphics cards will get close to bottlenecking on the 2.0 lanes, any chance of someone confirming that line of thinking.

Last edited:
Soldato
have a look at the silver arrow cooler if you want an air cooler, or the OcUK H²Flo if you want something like the H100

maybe consider the corsair m4 128gb ssd and the Corsair XMS3 memory.

if your not thinking of sli'ing them drop the psu to a 650w.

Associate
OP
Actually the PSU is somewhat of an issue for me in general, I see this system as being one I'd use for the next 3-4 years, maybe with an Ivy Bridge CPU if they perform well enough compared to the Sandy's.

SLI would fit in well with that plan eventually but annoyingly overclockers doesn't seem to stock a Corsair 1000W PSU which I would see as ideal for a pair of 580's, the soon to available 1200W being a bit too much for what I want.

Back
Top Bottom