Oil catch tank - any recommendations?

Associate
OP
At OP, whether a Mocal one at £120 is any better than a Merlin's own and drill a hole for the breather at £85 is debatable!

Cheers for that. :)

My cam covers only have one hose that needs connecting to the catch tank, suppose I could connect a length of pipe with a breather filter (on the end pointing towards the ground) onto the other barb.

Soldato
Cheers for that. :)

My cam covers only have one hose that needs connecting to the catch tank, suppose I could connect a length of pipe with a breather filter (on the end pointing towards the ground) onto the other barb.

What lots of the Westfield guys do is 'T' the two pipes (cam cover and crankcase) into one of the ports on the catch tank and put a little breather filter on the top of the other.

Associate
OP
Do they still have to be plumbed into the intake system, to maintain the - pressure?

Seems to defeat the object a little bit as there's still going to be oil vapour going back in... albeit without the sludge!

My K&N induction kit has a moulded barb for the oil breather to connect to - will need to find a plug of some description to block it up.

Why do you want one with a breathable cap? Or is it soley to catch oil than attempt to control crankcase pressure?

Handy in the sense that you don't need a breather filter for it. No doubt it would stink the cabin out though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Handy in the sense that you don't need a breather filter for it. No doubt it would stink the cabin out though.

Why would it? A proper crankcase ventilation system would vent back to the intake manifold or the exhaust with a slashcut to draw vaccuum.

Adding a opening to atmosphere just means you will never get the crankcase significantly below ambient air pressure of 1 bar, or worse its higher and you start pushing oil passed the oil seals and get more blowby the pistons...

Associate
OP
I'm not touching the crank case breathers, just a single 90 degree barb on one of my cam covers. I see people running a breather filter on it all the time, so surely fitting a catch tank and breather filter won't do any harm?

Soldato
I'm not touching the crank case breathers, just a single 90 degree barb on one of my cam covers. I see people running a breather filter on it all the time, so surely fitting a catch tank and breather filter won't do any harm?

The camcover is the lid on the crankcase, its the same void of air.

It probably wont do it any harm, just most the time these things are to catch oil, then once they are fitted the car ends up breathing even more oil as the crankcase pressure is controlled even worse than the conservative OEM requirements.

Associate
OP
Not my engine bay but this was the kind of setup I was thinking of.

vtsbay.jpg

The outlet pipe of the catch tank just points towards the road to keep the smell out the cabin. :)

Soldato
Looks like once the tank has a breather of its own its pointless routing it to the intake after the air filter anyway.

Its looks look a pretty basic breathing setup anyway where the catch tank is pointless and a waste of money, the longer run means you get plenty of oil condensing in the pipe anyway clogging it up. Thats simple an emissions breather.

Associate
Depends what you want it to do?
a catch tank does just that- catches everything that is thrown into it, it's not baffled and will not return oil to the sump.
A separator tank does just that- separates the oil vapour from the breather fumes, it is baffled inside.
2 different things, don't be fooled by Ebay "separator" tanks.
you plumb a separator tank into the breather system, oil returned to sump, then you connect the outlet of this into a catch tank to catch any small remaining oil/water vapour.
One thing to note is these tanks suffer from condensation on the inside, worse if the car is stored outside, you don't really want this returning to the sump.

Try the like of;
Forge Motorsport
Bailey motorsport

Associate
OP
what sensors are inside your throttle body?

Air intake temp sensor, TPS (which actually reads off the spindle so guess that can't be affected by crap going in), there's a MAP sensor in the inlet manifold too. A gunked up idle control valve in the throttle body was the cause of a low speed juddering I had on cold starts.

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;14977210 said:
Noob time.

What are these for? Suprised to see them being fitted to 'normal' cars?

If you have ever had to decoke a head, or clean up messy inlet manifolds you will quickly appreciate a catch tank.

Associate
That depends on how the breather system is configured, a few systems breath after the MAF so the breathed air is already metered, so cannot be vented to atmosphere or it upsets the fuelling. The engine will seem to run fine, but it will not be running at it's optimum.

Back
Top Bottom