Oil Checks

Man of Honour
Hi,

When you check the oil on a car are you supposed to do it when the engine is hot or cold, checked mine about 3 weeks ago was on max, just checked it now (engine been on 5 mins) was in the middle??

Associate
boiling

but seriously

ideally check when cold/warm and after the engine has been sat for a few mins to allow the oil to settle

Last edited:

Adz

Adz

Soldato
ideally check when cold/warm and after the engine has been sat for a few mins to allow the oil to settle

Exactly. If you check it immediately after turning off you're going to get a bit of a shock :p.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
Having the oil on the max marker isn't generally a good thing though. There should be a little 'notch' described in the handbook which is the optimum level.

Soldato
Adz said:
Having the oil on the max marker isn't generally a good thing though. There should be a little 'notch' described in the handbook which is the optimum level.

Pretty much every car I have owned has has Max and Min, nothing else. Keeping it on Max is fine, overfilling it is not such a good idea.

Man of Honour
Read your handbook becuase every car is different. Oil level on my Mondeo for example was checked from cold yet the 530i must be checked when warm approx 5 minutes after turning the engine off, on a full moon only when the day is a Wednesday.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Read your handbook becuase every car is different. Oil level on my Mondeo for example was checked from cold yet the 530i must be checked when warm approx 5 minutes after turning the engine off, on a full moon only when the day is a Wednesday.

I just rely on the computer to tell me when I'm out of oil ;)

"Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep"

Adz

Adz

Soldato
Dogbreath said:
Pretty much every car I have owned has has Max and Min, nothing else. Keeping it on Max is fine, overfilling it is not such a good idea.

Sorry I lie, there isn't a notch, I'm thinking of the notch for min/max. There is however a diagram in the handbook telling you where the oil level should sit between those notches, at least on the cars I've owned :).

Associate
read the owners manual. Mine states the engine oil should be checked after the engine has been running and been switched off for approximately 5 minutes to allow the oil to drain back into the sump.

thedazman

Back
Top Bottom