Ok, something is definitely up.

Soldato
Another squeaky bum moment this morning, second time in a week I've felt the front slip on right handers, not at much speed or lean angle either.

Not sure why, road conditions were fine and wasn't doing anything silly. Not sure if it's related to my drop which was right sided: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18638743

Any ideas what would cause this? Tyres are Bridgestone Battlax and have done 3200 miles, they look ok.

Last edited:
Soldato
Could seriously just be all in your head, trust me I know the feeling, after an off the bike feels horrendous and you don't trust the tyres* at all, get out when the road is warm to a nice roundabout and lean it over, you will either get the confidence back or crash, then know you for sure its the bike or you are just being a pussy :D :p

Failing that as above check the supension, you could put a cable tie around the fork leg and check its not bottoming out or anything.

*I am not a fan of bridgestone as it is, never got on with their tyres, I would be swapping them out anyway :D

Soldato
OP
I'm still not convinced on the tyres tbh. Both times were early and first 1/3 of the ride, could be heat and the fact it's on the right could be a red herring.

Doesn't help that one of the first hits on googling this, a guy is having a slippy front end with.... Bridgestone Battlax tyres...
http://www.kawiforums.com/2007-2008-zx-6r/127430-front-tire-tends-slip.html

Could seriously just be all in your head, trust me I know the feeling, after an off the bike feels horrendous and you don't trust the tyres* at all, get out when the road is warm to a nice roundabout and lean it over, you will either get the confidence back or crash, then know you for sure its the bike or you are just being a pussy :D :p

Failing that as above check the supension, you could put a cable tie around the fork leg and check its not bottoming out or anything.

*I am not a fan of bridgestone as it is, never got on with their tyres, I would be swapping them out anyway :D

Haha!! Thanks mate ;)

The zip tie idea is good, i'll try that today. As for the tyres, i've been looking at the Mich Pilot Road 4's, seem to be a great all-rounder.

Last edited:
Soldato
i had battleax on a couple of bikes.. changed them on both bikes.. never liked them. to slow to warm and never gave much confidence when warm . Check chain alignment and suspension movement but i personally think its the tyres !

Soldato
yeah depends on the BT model, there's still some old bt020's floating around, they are pretty terrible compared to modern tyres.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Bloody hate Battlax tyres as they really don't fill me with confidence at all, theres no feed back with the damn things, so pleased once ide worn the rear out & dumped em for a pair of PR's.

Soldato
On my Varadero I was running Bridgstones, every morning on the way to work, around 1 mile from my house there was a tight right on a roundabout, and every morning without fail in the dry the front would "move" a little. Cold/crap tyres probably the issue.

Soldato
Any chance you've been unlucky a few times and hit some diesel or such on the road? If not and it turns out it's all in your head may I suggest this....

Also if you've got 023's I had them on a previous bike and thought they were great tyres.

Hwkivq2.jpg

Soldato
OP
Which Battlax? I had 21's on my CBR and I could spin the rear at 95 in the rain... horrifying tire.

These:
Front is a BT011F, rear is the BT020 though!

Standard 36psi last time i checked.

Any chance you've been unlucky a few times and hit some diesel or such on the road? If not and it turns out it's all in your head may I suggest this....

Also if you've got 023's I had them on a previous bike and thought they were great tyres.

http://i.imgur.com/Hwkivq2.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

The roads looks fine and dry on both occasions from what i can remember.

I'll change the tyres and keep my eye on the suspension in the meantime, see if i can spot anything out of the ordinary.
It might be worth me going out in the afternoon for a longish ride and concentrate on right handers, see if it's a tyre warmth thing.

Soldato
Ah OEM tyre. I still have the OEMs on my Tiger and they are adequate at best. I do notice some slippiness if I am leaning and hit a white line or the shiney black of a road repair seal line. I know full well this will go away when I get some Anakee 3s onto my bike. I had OEMs on my previous bike with the same effect. OEM tyres are often ****.

Back
Top Bottom