Ok theoretical upgrade, opinions please chaps...

Soldato
PCI-E time me thinks.

So I'm very impressed with the pre "reviews" of the new upcoming DFI CFX3200-DR RD580 board, (939 pin crossfire) so I think I'll get one.

Now GFX, I'm wanting to get the ATI X1800XT 512Mb card as its the same or slightly faster than the 7900GT at the same price. My quandry is do I get the master card edition or the normal version as there is not much £ difference, incase I decide to go crossfire...

Now all I have to do is sell my Neo2 and 6800GT before the end of the month ;)

Oh almost forgot, I'll need a good 300Gb or higher SATA II drive, recommendations?

Soldato
OP
Monstermunch said:
Hitachi for reliability or Samsung for quietness - either really, both good drives.

Avoid Maxtor like the plage they are totally unreliable!

I was just looking at the Seagate Barracude 7200.9 NCQ 300GB (ST3300622AS SATA-II 16MB Cache), look very good for 80 notes.

Associate
Mr Paul said:
I was just looking at the Seagate Barracude 7200.9 NCQ 300GB (ST3300622AS SATA-II 16MB Cache), look very good for 80 notes.

I think the only gripe people have with seagate is that they are very noisy. However from personal experience I would say that they were one of the most relaible HDD's i've ever owned.

Associate
Crossfire is not going to need a master card soon, Theres going to be a driver release so certain ati boards can run two normal x1xxx series cards. Check the graphics forum for more info

Soldato
OP
Jack Bauer said:
Crossfire is not going to need a master card soon, Theres going to be a driver release so certain ati boards can run two normal x1xxx series cards. Check the graphics forum for more info

The X1800/1900 will still need a master card as they need the composition engine chip found on the master cards, so I'm told....

Man of Honour
Mr Paul said:
The X1800/1900 will still need a master card as they need the composition engine chip found on the master cards, so I'm told....

The suggestion is that with the new RD580 chipset and new Catalyst drivers(can't remember the version number offhand but maybe 6.7 or something like that) the need for a mastercard will be done away with.

However if you don't have or intend to get an RD580 based motherboard or even don't want to take the chance about the above information but might try Crossfire then given there is little difference in price you might as well buy the mastercard now since they are much more scarce than the normal X1800XTs.

I'd also disagree with the blanket statement about Maxtors, some may be some aren't. It comes down to personal experience mainly and I've yet to have a problem with mine.

Soldato
OP
semi-pro waster said:
The suggestion is that with the new RD580 chipset and new Catalyst drivers(can't remember the version number offhand but maybe 6.7 or something like that) the need for a mastercard will be done away with.

However if you don't have or intend to get an RD580 based motherboard or even don't want to take the chance about the above information but might try Crossfire then given there is little difference in price you might as well buy the mastercard now since they are much more scarce than the normal X1800XTs.

I'd also disagree with the blanket statement about Maxtors, some may be some aren't. It comes down to personal experience mainly and I've yet to have a problem with mine.

I'll be getting the DFI CFX3200-DR RD580 board next month....

Associate
I believe it's the X1xxx cards BELOW X1800 that run without a Master card. I believe the assumption was that X1800+ use too much bandwidth to be able to use the bus to do the crossfire stuff. Therefore yes you do need a Master card on a 1800 or 1900.

Associate
semi-pro waster said:

the above is right

semi-pro waster said:

However maxtors are ****!

Associate
semi-pro waster said:

Trust me, general consumer surveys rate them badly, Plus:

I bought 2 last year, both knackered!

I've replaced 11 HDD's in friends and family's PC's in the last 6 months all of which have been maxtors. (2 more in the last week)

I've never had a HDD fail me before, i've had bad sectors etc but not total failure until Maxtor - Then I got 2 in a year.

Trust me when I say they're crap (you've just been lucky) and to avoid like the great plague itself!

PS Not to mention that a couple of PC manufacturers have lately admitted to the fact they've been having ongoing problems with these HDD's and are consider finding another source. (Can't mention names)

Associate
I think maxtor have only survide this long due to PC world, curry etc suppling them. Otherwise they would be dead along time ago with intel.

fixed

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Monstermunch said:
Trust me when I say they're crap (you've just been lucky) and to avoid like the great plague itself!

Trust me when I say they are not ;) Do you see it is just my experience vs yours though or at least it is in most cases. :) Sorry I didn't really mean to derail the thread, I've used Maxtors for quite a while without problems so that is why I tend to query blanket statements like that.

Back
Top Bottom