Old EE plans

Soldato
I've been on an EE "Smart SIM 60GB" plan for several years which meets my needs perfectly. Good price, enough data and a useful included extra.

I also have a "loyalty discount" applied to my account which brings my final monthly down to a very good price, at least judging against the current plans.

Of course this plan doesn't exist any more and my basic question is whether the fact I'm still on it is "by design", i.e. you're allowed to remain on obsolete plans if you want, or because I've been "lost in the system" :)

I was on an obselete plan for years with EE and was eventually moved to something more modern by their standards and the price going up year on year. I just got moved to more data and 5G plans.

I suspect a bit of both.

My experience has been that they're quite happy to do decent deals on new plans to get you on a more up-to-date structure, but it's tended to be something I've instigated by trying to leave rather than being pushed.

Thanks.

I'm inclined to leave it alone as it fits my needs. The only issue is that I might want to add a watch data plan and/or temporarily at US roaming for a holiday but I'm too scared to in case it triggers something and I end up losing the current good deal I have.

I guess I could go into a store and explain I'm on an out-of-date but good deal and see what current options/deals they have to offer, whilst categorically refusing to identify myself or my number so they can't find my account :D

Last edited:
Like you I’m on an old plan which includes all minutes and data for roaming in Europe amongst other legacy features. I recently took out another two contracts with EE and told them I’d only take them out on the basis they honoured the inclusive free roaming, data gifting etc. It had to be escalated to a more senior sales person but they took care of it. So for just under £25 a month I have my full fat contract with 125Gb data, and two other lines with unlimited calls and texts, inclusive roaming and 10Gb data each. If either of those runs out I gift from my number as I rarely use more than 20Gb in a month.

Careful if you push for a better deal - they may erode some of the perks you get now which could cost you down the line, e.g. roaming.

Yeah I'm leaving it well alone for now.

I have EU roaming but, for my US trip, I'll get get an eSIM instead rather than risk adding hthe Roam Further and bringing the whole house of cards down :)

I'm in a similar situation, legacy contract where they added so many discounts and "free data" to both sim cards it's not worth migrating to anything new as the costs would be similar with less "inclusive", before this plan I was on "all you can eat" with T-Mobile but the merger with EE they kept the legacy contract online for years after the merger, but being capped at 3G speeds it was actually a relief to move to a 4G contract, I believe back then they wrote to me saying I was out of contract and had to migrate to a new plan, or they would terminate as I was a few years outside of the original 12mth plan and under no contract.

How much are you paying for that 60GB? I'm on 30GB for £8/month with Three. I also have unlimited (true unlimited) for £17/month as a 2nd line, again with Three. No loyalty discount and not a new user either as both lines have both been renewed once.

I was on a "classic" plan but last year got a message saying they were moving me to something new. It wasn't bad value for allowance/cost ratio but lost EU roaming in the process :(

I keep debating on moving away from EE but generally their coverage seems pretty bomb proof on the whole.

I was on a "classic" plan but last year got a message saying they were moving me to something new. It wasn't bad value for allowance/cost ratio but lost EU roaming in the process :(

I keep debating on moving away from EE but generally their coverage seems pretty bomb proof on the whole.

Whilst I agree their coverage seems to be the best overall, they have some really odd blackspots in specific places.

Whilst I agree their coverage seems to be the best overall, they have some really odd blackspots in specific places.
I'd agree but my lad is on O2 as part of a Virgin bundle and he seems to have less coverage in more places or I'd jump ship to them given they offer EU roaming included.

Tempted to give Voda a try but their CS seems to be the worst of them all!

Last edited:
I am paying £13 a month for unlimited data, unlimited speed, minutes and texts. I also get Xbox Game Pass, TNT sport and Office 365, i do have a unternbet connection with them also though plus loyalty discount

Has anyone on one of these "legacy" deals ever tried adding extras like US roaming to their package? My main fear is attempting to do so would cause the existing deal to be lost/forfeited.

I just gave up a sim only 125gb 1 month rolling contract at £9 per month. No call merge facilities and found we shocking down in Crawley area. Jumped back to Vodafone. Call quality better and data seems more consistent inside shops and houses. Genuinely suprised how EE get rated so good year on year.

I checked the app with my legacy deal, I can add extra roaming for £30/mo which includes full allowance in the USA, cancel at any time as it's a bolt on rather than a contract change. Not sure how it affects the existing EU roaming though when added/removed.

Our mast in town has just been upgraded and I'm still running a P20 Pro which is struggling after updates, might be time to shop around for a new deal.

Back
Top Bottom