old hdd

Associate
Hi i have an old hdd drive with a lot of suff i would like to retreive from it.This week im building a new system and was wondering could i use this old hdd drive as a slave in the new system and then retreive the files and folders from it and then wipe the drive.Win xp is on the drive as well but dont think there will be a clash in OS as its the slave is this right.Also as i play WOW to save me hours of patching lol could i just copy over the files to the new hdd drive from the old one thanks.

Soldato
Hi i have an old hdd drive with a lot of suff i would like to retreive from it.This week im building a new system and was wondering could i use this old hdd drive as a slave in the new system and then retreive the files and folders from it and then wipe the drive.Win xp is on the drive as well but dont think there will be a clash in OS as its the slave is this right.Also as i play WOW to save me hours of patching lol could i just copy over the files to the new hdd drive from the old one thanks.

Well there should be no issue having both drives in the system at all (as long as your new machine has a controller for it, though most current MBs will have mainly SATA ports but a PATA port for older drives too). Copying files over will be fine, and it shouldn't cause any clashes (just try to put your newer drive in the primary SATA port and if needed set it as the 1st boot device in your BIOS).

In terms of copying a game over directly, it's probably no advisable. It probably has all sorts of carp in your registry (if your a windows user) as well as just the files in the /Program Files/ directory (if that's where it's installed). Your most likely better reinstalling it, might be worth searching your old hard disks to see if the patches are floating around somewhere on it, as it might save you having to download them though I guess.

Associate
In terms of copying a game over directly, it's probably no advisable. It probably has all sorts of carp in your registry (if your a windows user) as well as just the files in the /Program Files/ directory (if that's where it's installed). Your most likely better reinstalling it, might be worth searching your old hard disks to see if the patches are floating around somewhere on it, as it might save you having to download them though I guess.
That's certainly the case with some games, but not all and not WoW. Copy the installation folder and you're good to go, no registry keys or other gubbins required.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info m8.So basicaly on first build i need to set the dvd drive to boot first then when i have installed the OS reset the bios for hdd drive to start first then i can install the old drive as the slave.Well i was hopeful of not having to do a fresh install of the game but might be better anyway and i can easily retreive the patches for it.As its my first build im trying to get all the info before i start.I took apart an old pc yesterday just to see how all things go in side it lol.

Top Bottom