Old Intel Socket Coolers

Associate
Hey there Chaps

I was hoping to get an answer to whether coolers that fit the Socket 1156 will also fit socket 1155 CPUs. I've got an old 1155 xeon which is running very hot, and was thinking I could buy a old server heat sink to run it (which can take more heat). What do you guys thing about this?

Thanks.

Soldato
The standard mounting for 1155 and 1156 are the same.

Server heatsinks often rely on ducting and moving a massive amount of air and so can be noisy.

Servers are also more likely to use proprietry mountings.

Associate
OP
The standard mounting for 1155 and 1156 are the same.

Server heatsinks often rely on ducting and moving a massive amount of air and so can be noisy.

Servers are also more likely to use proprietry mountings.

To be specific I meant I was after a passive cooler where it comes from is irrelevant as long as it fits into my micro-server, and is can do a 69 Watt TDP.

Still though its good to know that a socket 1156 cooler will fit a 1155 cpu.

Soldato
1156, 1155, 1150 and 1151 all uses a 75mm square mounting hole spacing. All referred to collectively as 115x.

That said, 69 watts passively can be quite challenging and require either a lot of cross-flow or a very very big cooler. Server heat sinks work "passively" because rack servers have fast, noisy fans along the front and generate a lot of direct airflow across their internals. Unless it's in this setup it may make more sense to find a cooler with a fan.

I would also check the hole spacing mentioned above - consumer motherboards use this, but OEM companies like HP often change the spacing for their own heatsinks.

Back
Top Bottom