• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Old Rig needs new card

Associate
I have an OCUK rig (see below) and i'm just downloading 'kingdom come: Deliverance'. I could struggle with the game even though it meets min specs but I don't know how many more new games my rig will still meet the spec for over the next year or more.

Will the PSU and mobo handle a new card that will give me another couple of years? If so which card? I'm not worried about really high res graphics because I can't afford to be... I rarely if ever play FPS.

Or do I need to change more components, or is it new rig time (which the kids would like as they get the cast off!)

HIS HD 7950 3072MB
I5-4670k 3.4 GHz
Z87-D3HP (socket 1150) ATX Mobo
8gb (2x4) DDR3 1600MHz dual channel
620w PSU
Zalman Z9 tower

Thanks in advance

Soldato
If you have the money I think it's new rig time.

If you don't then new GPU will certainly help.

But Ryzen two is close so might be good idea to wait for that.

---

At a minimum you need another 8Gb ram and a new GPU. But putting money in to DDR3 1600Mhz ram isn't such a great idea.

----

You could even buy Ryzen first gen if money is tight.

Associate
OP
Yea, I think it might be time to start saving for the end of the year and get a whole new system, last time was oct 2013 so i've had my moneys worth. Mine will last the year as I rarely buy new AAA games and the 11 year old won't be happy if I upgrade as my old old rig is now barely fit for purpose...

Like you say, buying new old generation parts isn't a great idea......

Associate
OP
PSU is an Antec modular 80+bronze so not bad.

With a 1060, 8gb ram, and i'm sorry to say paying for fitting clocking etc as it's really not my skill set, i'd be £350 in using good components. I'd probably be in the £800-900 range for a new rig. Its coping ok with Kingdom Come though far from maximising the graphics the game offers, so I think i'll promise myself a shiny new system for x-mass and make the kids happy too.

Thanks for the input

Associate
PSU is an Antec modular 80+bronze so not bad.

With a 1060, 8gb ram, and i'm sorry to say paying for fitting clocking etc as it's really not my skill set, i'd be £350 in using good components. I'd probably be in the £800-900 range for a new rig. Its coping ok with Kingdom Come though far from maximising the graphics the game offers, so I think i'll promise myself a shiny new system for x-mass and make the kids happy too.

Thanks for the input

You could fit the RAM and graphics card no problem - it's really not that hard... it's like Lego.

Associate
Yea, I think it might be time to start saving for the end of the year and get a whole new system, last time was oct 2013 so i've had my moneys worth. Mine will last the year as I rarely buy new AAA games and the 11 year old won't be happy if I upgrade as my old old rig is now barely fit for purpose...

Like you say, buying new old generation parts isn't a great idea......

I'm in the same boat as you, but a few months older than your system.

Man of Honour
Nothing wrong with a 4670k for gaming.

Try a new graphics card when prices are a bit more sensible.

RAM may limit you on a few new games but getting a secondhand 16gb DDR3 kit is a whole lot cheaper than buying a new PC.

Permabanned
Nothing wrong with a 4670k for gaming.

This,

A Haswell i5 doesn't need replacing, I'd keep it as is and when you finally find a game you can't run properly go for a new gpu, For now just keep an eye out for a secondhand 390, 390x, 470, 480, 980, or 1060 which will all give a good performance lift.

I moved from a Haswell i7 with 8 gb's of ram to a Ryzen 1600x with 16 gb's of ram at the end of last year and there's no noticeable difference between them. I might as well of not bothered moving if I'm honest about it, Don't waste your money.

Soldato
I'm happily running a 4670K. My primary game is very single threaded, so about the only thing that's an upgrade is a 7700K/7740X or a 8600K/8700K. More CPU power would help with the 1% lows, that's about it. Ryzen would be slower given the IPC.

Given the price of DDR4 at the moment, an upgrade is looking rather expensive for a minor performance bump.

Back
Top Bottom