Old single-din Alpine head unit better than new Mazda 3 satnav :( Replacement recommendations?

Associate
I've just upgraded cars. Used to have an old Corsa with an Alpine UTE 72BT, and frankly I loved it. The thing I adored about it was it was so quick and responsive, and the way I had my files organised on my USB stick I could just press the shuffle button a few times and it was 'reset' back to the root folder, where all my favourite favourite songs were. I could use the wheel dial to really quickly browse the folders and find a specific song. It also had fully working bluetooth (phone and music).

In comparison, my new Mazda 3 has some TomTom unit in (Sanyo NVA-SD8110 I think?) and it's a really painful downgrade. It's slow and laggy when responding to touch, there's 2 mandatory startup warning presses which is just annoying, music is an absolute pain to navigate (I can forget about being able to quickly find and play a specific song), there's about 6 unresponsive button presses required to do anything, and mind boggling is that I can connect my phone...for phone calls only!! I can't stream music! Argh!! Bad software is such a pet peeve of mine. It's like they didn't even QA it for usability in the slightest.

I bought a bluetooth-to-aux thing, but honestly I much prefer hardware buttons for music control, especially if it has quick ways to jump to specific folders and find specific files. It would be nice to find a replacement head unit which still has satnav, but has good, fast and logical hardware buttons to supplement. Anyone know anything which may fit the bill?

Soldato
Been looking at headunits myself but tbh all I need is Google Maps and to play spotify through bluetooth. Was looking to get an aux adapter but if a new HU can change tracks on spotify using BT rather me having to switch apps on the phone then that might be worthwhile (USB connection on rear for a charging cable would be good too).

Are there any decent Android headunits or ones that support Android Auto that don't cost a fortune (could just fit a tablet I suppose).

Soldato
Mazda Infotainment can play spotify from a phone.

Connect via bluetooth. Then on Audio input list, select your phone. Then your phone gets exclusive use of the speakers for whatever you want.

Back
Top Bottom