Old system build - problems

Associate
Gigabyte GA-965p-ds3p Q6600 Core2 Quad

Originally my motherboard blew a MOSFET and I purchased another board same as the original.

Everything was put together but had problems with the RAM and the PC turning on/off on boot.

I decided to buy some standard voltage RAM.

I'll cut a long story short, I replaced everything but the CPU and GPUs.

On a cold boot the BIOS resets and when I go in to Bios I get a VCore - Fail.. I've changed the battery on the motherboard but the problem still occurs but only on a cold boot, otherwise it is fine. Once I put the BIOS back to the settings I require (for RAID config only) and reboot everything is fine for the remainder of the day. I unplug her for the day and return in the morning but the same occurs!

I've run Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and the the Brand String Test Fails. I'm told this is due to the CPU being old but the program identifies the correct CPU.

I keep thinking I have purchased a faulty motherboard and the seller is happy for me to return it for a refund. I just don't want to return it unless I've tried everything possible.

At least it isnt restarting every few seconds, that was the original problem.

I hope someone can help.... if you require further info please ask....

Associate
OP
Just checked and no jumper, seems odd that a BIOS battery would cause so many issues but as soon as I inserted a new Energizer battery, all is now fine.

I've read many posts online with the same battery issue but no resolution. Some have said that the board could be shorting and draining the battery. Asus had an issue like this and a batch of boards were recalled but I have a Gigabyte board.

I've broken my own rule, never buy second hand components. This is the first time in 30 years I've done so and it has been nothing but a pain in the butt!

I'll monitor over the next few weeks and see how it goes.

Many thanks to those that have responded, very much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom