• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Older Xeons vs 1800x

Soldato
maybe try and snag a dell t5600 dual CPU version (off the bay) with (or upgrade to) dual 8 or 6 core... I have a dual hex t5500 with 72gb ram for playing with VMware probably £500 in total a year ago (the 5600 will be more expensive but has built in usb3 and sata3)..

Associate
I just had to sign up since you mentioned a dual E5-2670 rig and I happen to run one for pretty much the same reasons and purpose.

How it compares to ryzen I do not know but can benchmark. *edit* Cinebench gives me 1981 points on a CPU test. Not as great as it could be, but it beats Ryzen 7 1800X and I'm betting gives good bang for buck.

As for how it performs in practice, put it this way, I've recently started streaming GTA Online on Twitch. Generally the game takes up to 16% of my CPUs (beware the game will crash, just change the affinity on the launcher to all the threads on the first physical CPU then relaunch, the game doesn't support NUMA) and then capture (2560x1440 downscaled to 1920x1080) plus encoding two streams (CBR 4000kbit veryfast for twitch, VBR 10mbit CRF 21 veryfast stored on disk for later editing) takes about 15-40% depending on the action. That's significantly below 100% so I tend to encode videos alongside (moving to h.265) with no performance hit.

I got the board, CPUs and RAM as parts which it turns out is pretty darned expensive. It's almost definitely cheaper to buy a used workstation.

The trick is going to be that with Ryzen you can only get one CPU per board at the moment. With dual xeons, you can double up for a similar amount of money. Then you've got the added benefits of dual CPUs like having in my case 8 DIMMs on 8 channels for a huge amount of memory and bandwidth, same story with PCI-E since I've got 80 lanes of 3.0, which'd be really useful if I had a huge pile of NICs or NVMe drives.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If that were true, what would make you think a slower Xeon with less IPC and the same amount of cores would do better?
Would be using two CPU's vs the one Ryzen

Sorry, what? I used OBS to stream years ago and was able to get 1080p 60 FPS with an i7-920 using the fast preset, and that was whilst playing a single-threaded game on the same system!
I guess it's changed in recent years? I don't know many people who can run fast with 1080/60fps unless they are using extreme intels, only person I know with a 1800x can't push fast preset without dropping some frames (Using it as a streaming PC)

or why not just wait a little while for x299 ?
Cost

It's not, the 1800X is the best CPU for streaming before you hit the 6900K, I was just trying to avoid being that blunt about it :p
As Disco has said, using a 5820k (which is what my friend was using) you hit a cap at faster, trying to see if hitting medium is possible on the cheap using a 2CPU setup

Huh? Ryzen is more than capable for 1080p @ 60Hz. Got a source for this? Besides, a few streaming software like OBS can take advantage of the media encoder on your GPU so the CPU won't be strained that much anyway.
Using a streaming PC which has a 970GTX, CPU provides much more power (4690k)

I use a 4.3Ghz 5820K and can stream 1080p60 6mbits using software x264 on faster without dropping a frame on http://www.omfgdogs.com/.

Dunno if an extra 2 cores and 4 threads will allow that to be bumped up to fast.
Looking at using a duel CPU setup so OBS can have many more cores and threads at it's disposal.

I didn't put it in my original post - Looking at using 2 CPUs not just one so for example, it would be TWO E5-2650 (16 total cores / 32 threads). I don't know if the cores / threads would outweigh the Ghz, I'm not that knowledgeable with OBS / encoding ect. So, now with me providing all the info (as I didn't before stupidly) what do people think ?

Associate
OP
Widgitybear streams on twitch using 2 E5 2690 CPUs at 1080p60 using the medium preset.
Going by that, a duel Xeon would be better then a Ryzen 1800x then, surely? I didn't notice the 2nd page when I posted my reply early this morning :D

EDIT: Had a look at his stream (As I'm using twitch as well) For medium preset, it looks kinda bad, unsure if its game graphics ect. Only checked around the 5min mark, I'll have to have a look when he is live at some point.

Last edited:
Soldato
1800x can't hold a fast preset at 1080p 60fps output

No clue what twitch bit rate is but I record via OBS @20mb on the fast preset. That's at 1440p downscaled to 1080 @60hz this is on a 1700x.
Here's a SC of the settings used.
obs-rec-set.png

No clue as to why it wont do twitch as don't use it tbh

Caporegime
This is actually why Software encoding (using the CPU) it better for streaming to Twitch, because the source material for the Byte Rate is so much higher quality than hardware based, if your source is already encoded by hardware its already a bit crap, so it becomes even more crap by the time Twice are done butchering it.

Higher quality source = a bit less crap once Twitch spat it out.

I have streamed to Twitch using the nVidia areware

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Maybe because 6Mbps is the cap for twitch. https://stream.twitch.tv/
Yes, thats what they say... They don't want people to use more then 6k bitrate.

From this thread and a load of research, I can say the Xeons will produce BETTER results BUT, Ryzen will produce less heat and use less power. So, what did I go with? When I upgraded from my 6700 non-k to a 7700k, I forgot I had the 6700 in a box... So got a new mobo and RAM and we are running 1080p 60FPS which looks great!! at 9k bitrate.......

Soldato
Yes, thats what they say... They don't want people to use more then 6k bitrate.

From this thread and a load of research, I can say the Xeons will produce BETTER results BUT, Ryzen will produce less heat and use less power. So, what did I go with? When I upgraded from my 6700 non-k to a 7700k, I forgot I had the 6700 in a box... So got a new mobo and RAM and we are running 1080p 60FPS which looks great!! at 9k bitrate.......

How a 2.2Ghz Xeon would produce better result than a 4Ghz 1800X? Are you sure you have done your research?
And if Ryzen 7 isn't enough for you to do x264 fast, then wait for Ryzen 9. The 16c is expected at around $850 mark apparently. The 10c much less, and all are expected to hit 3.9-4Ghz without issue while the board will be supported with new products over the next 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom