on or off?

Associate
hi guys,
was just wondering whether you all keep your pc's on 24/7 or turn them off when not in use.
i turn mine off, but i've heard this can be bad for a computer. is this true?
also.. with leaving it on does it make electricity bill sky rocket or doesn't it make too much of a difference.

Associate
I turn mine off.

Running Linux I think it's best to leave it on if you can. Think of it like a car, when is it most likely to break down - when you're driving along the motorway or when you first start it up in the morning?
It wouldn't make too much of a difference to your bill. Modern hardware has pretty good power saving features when idle. If you're folding or something it's another story.

Associate
OP
yeah i can't see how it would cause damage myself.
it's nothing bad obviously, just that over a long period of time it can cause problems always being turned on and off.
but saying that.. i did read it off the internet so could be a load of rubbish lol.

Soldato
May I ask why you don't shut it down?

Takes forever to boot up. Even longer to actually feel useable. Even longer to open all the programs i need. Started accumulating open tabs after a couple of days doing it and now i've got so many i can't be bothered to sort them out so i'm blackmailed into not shutting down :D

Soldato
Used to leave on but with cost of power now I tend to sleep mode some others are off since I got a pi is on v24/7 as a gateway I can wake whatever PC I want from wherever I need it.

Associate
Always off, such a waste to just leave it on idling. Will only leave it on if I want it to record something when I'm out. I'd probably use sleep but when I do my computer will either not come out of it properly or the TV card won't initialise.

Soldato
Switching it off an on a daily basis will cause it no harm. Leaving it on might cost you around £70-100 a year though in elecy costs.

Back
Top Bottom