On The Wagon... then in 'ere!

Associate
I don't know how you do it. I gag for a drink at the end of a heavy day.

I wanted a drink on so many occasions in early sobriety. I think it's ok to want a drink, it not ok for me to let that want take me out for a drink. As time has gone on, I've learnt how to handle situations and people (including myself) that used to make me want to drink better. Ive also learnt how to spot the build up to a craving (and ultimately a drink) as well as what I can do about it. In short I've developed the tools to live life without a drink. As that's happened, the mental cravings have started to lessen both in severity and length, with bigger intervals between them.

If you've a problem like I did, it takes work but it does get better if you put the effort in.

Associate
Been a hard drinker for 20 years.

Made a decision to stop.

Anyone here in the same position and can offer advice on how to cope?

Zero percent alcohol and fruit juice are not alternatives.

Everything with my social live revolves around drink and i am done with it

Caporegime
I don't think going cold turkey is sustainable, same with quitting smoking. If you have 5 pints a night, cut it down to 3, then 2, then 1, then 1 every other night, then 2 a week, then 1 a week, then shandy, then cut it out completely.

Soldato
My father also drank hard for 20 years. He alienated his family and eventually stopped caring about himself. He died 3 years ago aged 54 due to an alcohol related health condition. I wasn't angry, there was a degree of inevitability to it as he refused to change and remove alcohol from his way of life. He was also called John.

Hopefully you find this anecdote somewhat motivational.

Soldato
I don't think going cold turkey is sustainable, same with quitting smoking. If you have 5 pints a night, cut it down to 3, then 2, then 1, then 1 every other night, then 2 a week, then 1 a week, then shandy, then cut it out completely.

Depends if they can stop after 1 or 2 I suppose, many hard drinkers cant.

Not the same but I used to have "a" beer every night but now rarely have more than 1 a week. Does get boring though as soft drinks just aren't the same with a meal, too sugary. Some of the alcohol free beers taste ok but not amazing, I just drink tap water tbh but yeah it is dull.

I do find that I when I do fancy a beer but cba to go buy one that the urge has gone once I've eaten.

Last edited:
Caporegime
True. I cant open a bottle of wine without finishing it... The only thing that stops me from having more than one pint when I'm out is the fact that I'm the driver. One pint, then lemonade for the rest of the night...

Soldato

I agree I did the same with sugar went from 4 sugars to two to one to half to none at all in my tea and none on me cereal either. Don't miss it at all if someone accidently puts it in my tea is "urgh! Thats disgusting! How can you drink this stuff!" Don't have a grain of sugar in the house.

Don't think I could have cut it out in one go though it had to be gradual.

Man of Honour

I seem to remember reading somewhere it isn't good health wise to go from high alcohol consumption to cutting it out completely in a very short space of time - but most people won't have the discipline to reduce it gradually.

I agree I did the same with sugar went from 4 sugars to two to one to half to none at all in my tea and none on me cereal either. Don't miss it at all if someone accidently puts it in my tea is "urgh! Thats disgusting! How can you drink this stuff!" Don't have a grain of sugar in the house.

Don't think I could have cut it out in one go though it had to be gradual.

Done that with tea - used to be 2-3, got it down to 2 then 1 and once you get used to 1 it seems exactly the same as 2-3 now down to about 1/3rd a spoon but that is about as far as I can go it just isn't satisfying without some sugar and even 1/3rd is borderline - really needs more like 60% of a spoonful.

I tried cutting it out completely for awhile but was never really happy and didn't get that point where having it suddenly tasted disgusting.

Caporegime
If your social life revolves around a pub, i assume, not just sitting at a mates drinking, then honestly you either pick a new social life or carry on.

You are going to have to stop going to the pub. To me back when i did this, you soon realise how much of a bore it is anyway when all your mates are tipsy and talking BS etc. I can do that without a single drop of booze.

You are never going to be the guy that drinks lime and soda, maybe once a week you can try it but an everyday thing, after 20 years?... good luck...
Talk to your fellow drinkers, tell them you wanna cut it out, see if they feel the same?

Soldato
I just stopped. Will be three years on January 14th since a drop as passed my lips. Did the same with smoking too, went from 20+ a day for 15 years to nothing - I just stopped.

Soldato
I drink probably a little bit too much red wine and always by the bottle not by the glass ,but do have a line i wont step over with amount drank
the reason i havmt given up is that i really enjoy it i dont have other vices why cant i (what i tell myself)
i think i might suddenly have heath problems when the benefits of red wine are taken away (again its what i tell myself although i know the reason is full of holes) so what i do is scale down to the odd glass but it never works
defiantly dependent and im not sure living alone helps

Back
Top Bottom