• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Onboard 2500k's iGPU vs ati 3870 ?

Soldato
I'm after a little help here please! I'm just curious how big of a difference there is between these two? Its not actually for me but for a PC I just upgraded for my mother. Previously the 3870 was used in an older Q6600-era PC but i recently changed it to an i5 and so on and im wondering if i should actually remove the 3870 to reduce the power usage?

She only really goes on bbc Iplayer and occasionally youtube. Anything else is just very basic browsing.

Also, i've currently got it set up so that it clocks to 4.4ghz when needed but mostly sits at 1.6ghz. Would enabling the iGPU potentially make this overclock less stable?

Any help appreciated! :)

Soldato
OP
:D

Yea it would never be used for games. I just want to be absolutely sure that the 2500k's iGPU will be silky smooth for 720p or even 1080p playback on youtube and similar and also not make the overclock unstable.

I'm really unfamiliar with iGPU's in general!

Associate
I would be interested to know if the iGPU's could do hardware acceleration. It sounds a bit daft I know, hand off the cpu task to the gpu... that's on the cpu.

Associate
Oh and 4.4ghz I can't think of why it couldn't cope. Whether it can hand anything off is immaterial I suspect, it's got the raw power to handle the 1080p in h264 without an issue.

Back
Top Bottom