**** The Official OnePlus 5 Thread ****

Soldato
I recall with my samsung galaxy, that samsung had their own version of google stuff such as samsung backup etc and it ran in parallel with the google stuff. I assume then that oneplus do not do this?

Soldato
The battery on my OP3 has been atrocious since the latest update - it seems like everything, but particularly Chrome, is blitzing the battery life where it wasn't before. Android OS and Android System are also way up, but using approximately the same % battery as the screen. I've tried resetting the cache and that hasn't helped. Any other ideas? I could root and stick a new ROM on, but can't really be bothered with the hassle.

Soldato
Had a S8+ for the last day and I've already put in a returns request and ordered a OP5 which is arriving tomorrow.

The S8+ has great tech and an amazing screen, but the UI lag and poor battery drain with no evident app being the culprit, just felt I've had enough with Samsung phones for the last 7-8 years now.

Opted for the 128gb/8gb ram option in black, can't wait for tomorrow!

Last edited:
Associate
Pulled the trigger on a Oneplus 5 to replace my aging (almost 3 year old) Oneplus One.

Got what I suspect is a grey import off of Ebay (from a reputable seller). It's described as the 'international version'.

Has anyone else done this and if so, was this a bad idea for the sake of saving £70?

Soldato
Here are some of my initial thoughts, after having owned an S7 and iPhone 7 prior.

It's quick. Really quick. Stock android is so nice. But, I did get accustomed to the gesture navigation of iOS and actually kind of preferred it for many things. Plus, safari is so damn quick.

The camera is what is class as, good enough that you wouldn't have any complaints. IE, as good as my iPhone 7, which is to say, good. Portrait mode is nice (and works well), but haven't had any use for the zoom feature yet.

I can't comment on battery life yet, as I only got it yesterday.

It's very light.

Screen is excellent. But, the jelly effect is really distracting. I was always one to tell people they were overreacting, but it really gives the device a cheap and unpolished feel, which ultimately has ruined the experience for me.

Build quality is difficult. It's easy to hold and stuff, but somehow it feels cheap. It could be due to how light it is, but it doesn't feel as well built as the iPhone or S7, even if it is.

Overall, if you can look past the jelly effect of the display, I think it's a very good phone.

As a student, I paid 400 for mine, and still feel it's a little over priced for the overall experience on the phone.

A flagship phone is more than the sum of its components, and the OnePlus 5 doesn't ultimately add up to anything.

Soldato
Regarding the Jelly effect, its very apparent at first as you're not used to it. After some time with it I don't notice it at all.

Regarding the build quality I think the fit and finish is first class, look at all the chamfers around the bottom speaker and port for example, I think it's all done just right. The lack of heft is another thing you're probably not used to with the iPhone due the extra weight that the force touch gubbins add. But I prefer a lighter phone in my pocket and hands. Though I do understand that a hefty phone does give off the illusion of premium at first, even though it gets tiresome to hold and transport in every day use.

Overall there's still not a phone on the market I'd swap this for. The V30 is close though, the design is great and a meaty headphone jack too. But 4GB ram is too light for the future and the LG skin looks a bit gawdy compared to elegance of stock Android.

Soldato
As a student, I paid 400 for mine, and still feel it's a little over priced for the overall experience on the phone.

A flagship phone is more than the sum of its components, and the OnePlus 5 doesn't ultimately add up to anything.

I've no idea what this "jelly" effect people keep mentioning is. Mine is a day 1 phone and can't be more happy with it.

For £450 it's half the price of the new iphone, battery is superb and last me 2 days nearly for average use, it's lightning fast, stock android. It's light, not bulky. All my mates who are all iphone freaks think it's a cracking looking phone and very nicely put together.

I do wonder what people expect from a phone these days. Not having a pop at you personally, but generally people fawn over iphones/pixel's at twice the price. You paid £400 for it, people will be paying £800/900/£1000 for a phone when iphone x is out and claim it's the best thing ever but forget they are paying 2x/2.5x the price of oneplus5. etc.

Back
Top Bottom