Tannoy HTS101, 5-1-speaker package

After a little research the speakers have the following frequency's

Sub cross over frequency 50Hz - 200Hz
Subwoofer Output 100 Watts
Satellite Sensitivity 87dB
Satellite Impedance 8 Ohms
Satellite Frequency Response 100 - 40kHz
Satellite Rec Amp Power 25 - 100 Watts RMS

Can anyone let me know what settings I should enter into my AV Receiver to get the best sound or is it trial and error between 40 - 100 for all?

From the manual the defaults are:
2. Crossover
Front
Default Value: 100Hz

Center

Height
Default Value: (100Hz)

Surround

Surround Back

LPF of LFE
Default Value: 120Hz

Double Bass
Default Value: (On)

(https://www.onkyo.com/manual/txnr656/adv/en/003.html)

Cheers,

Man of Honour
The default values on the amp don't have any relevance to your speaker set-up.

First, your amp uses a setup wizard with a microphone. You don't really need to mess around setting the crossover points manually. You can let the amp do its room measurements and set what it thinks are the correct crossover points.

However, if you want to forgo the auto set-up, then the Tannoy satellites lowest frequency is said to be 100Hz you reckon. That's probably either a -3dB or a -6dB figure. IOW, the bass output is already falling off at this point. I would set the satellites and sub to crossover at 120Hz then have a listen at that. Use the receiver's bass management controls (crossover frq, volume, phase if it's available). You'll need to set the sub's own crossover to its highest level (200Hz) or bypass if it has the feature. Set the sub's own volume to 50% to start with. You can always tweak this up or down if you later find that you're using too much adjustment from the amp.

Soldato
OP
Cheers @lucid (new I could rely on you!). Currently at work, but will have a play around later.

The set-up mic doesn't seem to like the 5.1.2 set-up, it measures the 5.1 but doesn't register anything for the .2 (ceiling) speakers for some reason, dispite these sounding as load as the other satellites.

Thanks again, much appreciated and I'm sure I'll pick your brains again soon (Brother-in-law is still weighing up his Home Theater options, he's already bought a pair of
Wharfedale DX-2 for the stero Zone 2 (TV) - I'd actually advised him to pick up a cheap 2nd hand 1080p AV and have a separate 3.1 system for the TV)

Back
Top Bottom