Online Banking Fraud - Your experiences?

Associate
Hi all,

I have recently been the victim of banking fraud. I am obviously somewhat frustrated this has happened at the same time as being concerned, though it is expected my money will be returned.

I feel I've exhausted all routes with my bank but I just cannot fathom how they've had so many of my details. I don't have paper statements etc so nothing in the post and occasionally use online banking via my Macbook Pro and iPhone 6 but I presumed both these items were very secure. I type very little in respect of my ID's and passwords as theses are stored on Apple Keychain; something I perhaps will refrain from now, however I can't understand how they've correctly answered things like my secret question and letters/numbers therefrom as these are a drop down and click style opposed to pressing keys so that would negate any key logging software?

The individuals who will obviously remain at large and undeterred were able to change details such as a telephone number for example on my online banking so I can only presume this is how they've got access and my bank did confirm the app was downloaded and used to withdraw money from the phone they used... so no card cloning or the like.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and have you any ideas what steps I can take to increase my security and prevent anything more severe such as identity fraud?

I'm looking to format my Macbook and install a decent anti virus also, open to suggestions both free and paid...

Expecting mixed responses but will appreciate some serious ones please :p

Soldato
"stored on Apple Keychain" - Never do this with any important passwords.

Do you have a different password for banking, emailing, facebooking etc...?

And let me guess you had no anti virus on your Mac because Apple Macs don't get viruses? :D

Barclays do free Kaspersky, check with your bank.

Associate
OP
"stored on Apple Keychain" - Never do this with any important passwords.

Do you have a different password for banking, emailing, facebooking etc...?

And let me guess you had no anti virus on your Mac because Apple Macs don't get viruses? :D

Barclays do free Kaspersky, check with your bank.

Haha, no I had a free Anti virus and just didn't renew to the paid for variant as to be honest it doesn't get that much use now with my current job.

Yes different password for banking, emails etc.. I did check and they don't :(

How is it possible to obtain this information from keychain? I somewhat naively thought this would be safe given Apple's credibility.

Soldato
Had £800 swiped from a debit card in Thailand one time as I misplaced it.

Partly my fault, but partly Barclays as I purposely hadn't rang them to 'enable' my card there when I was told prior to my travels that I'd need to ring them to get it to work in whatever country I was in and on what dates.

They put the £800 right back into my account at the start of the investigation. Never heard from them again so I can only assume they sorted it out! ;)

Associate
OP
Has your mobile number been hijacked as well?

Hijacked as in what? They changed it to one of theirs to enable a new payment to be setup from what I can gather... other than that :confused:

Had £800 swiped from a debit card in Thailand one time as I misplaced it.

Partly my fault, but partly Barclays as I purposely hadn't rang them to 'enable' my card there when I was told prior to my travels that I'd need to ring them to get it to work in whatever country I was in and on what dates.

They put the £800 right back into my account at the start of the investigation. Never heard from them again so I can only assume they sorted it out! ;)

Happy days, that's not too shabby.

Soldato
Nothing is safe is stored on your PC. Anything critical should be in your brain(unless they beat it out of you :D).

Secret questions can sometimes be guessed depending on how liberal you are with giving data to FB and so on.

One of my friends has his fb set to public and his entire life history on there from what hospital he was born in to his first address and so on.

Soldato
Dont occasionally use on-line banking, ALWAYS! Check your balance every 2 to 3 days just for the sake of it. Even if you are not expecting anything to come out so you will noticed any unauthorized transactions before the bank does.

I've been a victim of banking fraud a few times due to my card being cloned. Last time was the Boomerang Rentals incident, thankfully the bank has always refunded the money back into my account with a few hours.

Associate
and you are sure you didnt login to it on your desktop pc or laptop ?, what about download software from torrents, have you done anything like that in the past?, why dont the banks have something so you get a text when you login to your account?, so your alerted

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Nothing is safe is stored on your PC. Anything critical should be in your brain(unless they beat it out of you :D).

Secret questions can sometimes be guessed depending on how liberal you are with giving data to FB and so on.

One of my friends has his fb set to public and his entire life history on there from what hospital he was born in to his first address and so on.

Yeah I thought of that too, but my profile is locked down as much as possible due to my line of work anyway, so no personal details should have been accessible. Cheers though.

and you are sure you didnt login to it on your desktop pc or laptop ?, what about download software from torrents, have you done anything like that in the past?, why dont the banks have something so you get a text when you login to your account?, so your alerted

Nope just my phone and macbook, nothing else. No downloads from torrents, only downloads have been from the apple store and those were all official apple apps in any case.

I got a letter from them asking me about a transaction, that is how I was alerted. Its all happened in a matter of days so its not as though I have just left it unattended or unchecked any more regularly than I already would :(

Soldato
girlfriend partner family member?

These are often more likely to breach entry to your account than someone unknown. Not to say you're surrounded by crims. :p

I keep a number of passwords on my keychain, but I share no passwords with anyone. They're written down in case they're needed by family (untimely death or heavy bang to my thick skull ;)), but I do not tell them to anyone. Check for keyloggers, etc.

Associate
OP
These are often more likely to breach entry to your account.

I keep a number of passwords on my keychain, but I share no passwords with anyone. They're written down in case they're needed by family (untimely death or heavy bang to my thick skull ;)), but I do not tell them to anyone. Check for keyloggers, etc.

Easiest and best way to check on a mac please?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Nothing to do with the security of Apple keychain. You have most likely been the victim of a phishing scam.

Associate
Only had one issue where my credit card had a fraudulent charge against it to some US online shop.

Called up to query, they could see someone had called up and tried to change my address to some school in the US (which was refused) just before they charged £50 to it. They instantly refunded and sent a form for me to sign and gave me a new card.

I'm surprised the charge wasn't blocked immediately, especially right after a fraudulent attempt to change address.

Associate
OP
Nothing to do with the security of Apple keychain. You have most likely been the victim of a phishing scam.

I don't believe this to be the case as I'm quite savvy when it comes to that I would like to think and haven't given out any personal information to my knowledge.

Only had one issue where my credit card had a fraudulent charge against it to some US online shop.

Called up to query, they could see someone had called up and tried to change my address to some school in the US (which was refused) just before they charged £50 to it. They instantly refunded and sent a form for me to sign and gave me a new card.

I'm surprised the charge wasn't blocked immediately, especially right after a fraudulent attempt to change address.

Yes I would rightfully agree! But they did, almost got it all the buggers.

Soldato
Hijacked as in what? They changed it to one of theirs to enable a new payment to be setup from what I can gather... other than that :confused:

A common type of fraud at the moment is that they will hijack your SIM, ie call up your provider, pass over your details to get past security, swop your number onto another SIM and commit the fraud that way as the banks keep your mobile number as a line of security.

Back
Top Bottom