Online maths A-level

Soldato
OP
I did A-Level maths myself using textbooks (edexcel). I was able to complete it in one year doing 3 exams in Jan and 3 in June. Just find a school that allows for private candidates and pay the exam fees which will be about £100. I did C1-C4, S1 and M1 by the way.

I can sign up with AQA for June. Those private schools wouldn't happen to have Spring exams?

edit: nvm

Caporegime
but it's these very graduate schemes I want to get on. I'm not sure what relevant experience I can get now..... and what just leave after 4 months and try apply to some schemes then?

Its not rocket science... say you want to become an accountant and have wet dreams about working for some big 4 firm but can't because you don't have some random a-level - do you not think your time would be better spent training to be an accountant some smaller place that is easier to get into? I'd call that relevant experience...

What is it that you want to do? Why not just find somewhere that you can do that thing and just do it instead of wasting your time sitting an A-Level after you've already got a degree.

Soldato
OP
Its not rocket science... say you want to become an accountant and have wet dreams about working for some big 4 firm but can't because you don't have some random a-level - do you not think your time would be better spent training to be an accountant some smaller place that is easier to get into? I'd call that relevant experience...

What is it that you want to do? Why not just find somewhere that you can do that thing and just do it instead of wasting your time sitting an A-Level after you've already got a degree.

Accountancy is one of the ideas. The biggest problem is I also don't have 300 ucas points which I'd thought would be totally irrelevant but all firms across the board are asking for 300.
Say I go get some experience, what then? I just leave after 4 months or so? since I'm seemingly not able to get a half decent firm with these points + no maths a-level. I'm not looking to join some hickeldy-pot firm then leave after only 4 months, which won't help my CV much.

Associate
You don't do the exams and send them in the post, you have to go to an exam centre to take them.

I've never done an A-Level like this so don't know much about it I'm afraid. I don't really understand why you need the A-Level if you have an economics degree though... why do companies insist on that?

Hilarious as it might be, I was unable to apply for certain jobs in the city with my PhD in quantum physics as I didn't have good enough A-Levels, so a first class Masters in Physics and a PhD wasn't enough to override it. I was even mulling over the idea of resitting Maths A-Level to get an A, especially as I was tutoring some students in the topic last summer.

Some companies really are crazy!

Caporegime
Say I go get some experience, what then? I just leave after 4 months or so? since I'm seemingly not able to get a half decent firm with these points + no maths a-level. I'm not looking to join some hickeldy-pot firm then leave after only 4 months, which won't help my CV much.

Why leave after 4 months? If you want to become an accountant then go and train to become an accountant... You're not in a position to be snobby about the sort of firm you want to join at the moment if you don't meet their entry requirements - why not just join a 'hickeldy-pot' firm and sit some accountancy exams, pass them and get some experience then look at whether you want to stay in that firm or move elsewhere... you never know some smaller firms might offer you greater responsibility at an earlier stage in your career. I'm not an accountant btw.. but if I was aiming for a particular career and I'd already been rejected a couple of times, I'd be more concerned initially with simply pursuing that particular career than with the brand name of the firm I'm choosing to pursue that career in...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom