only 20 days a yr hols

Permabanned
ok so the company I work for only gives us 20 days holidays a yr ..
they pay even if you don't want it double time on bank hols .
I've tried to talk to them but they say it's legal ..
and I say no we must have 28 days away from work every yr ..
contacted acas they say the same ..
now I don't want to lose my job been there nearly 2 yrs
and im getting on a bit ..
so what can I do ?

Soldato
So 12+8?

If so that's below statutory minimum. You must have 28 days paid annual leave which can be include the 8 bank holidays.

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights

Point them to that link, it explains it all.

Obviously there are different rules if you're self employed or part time. Your options are limited to either sucking it up, reporting them or leaving , if they won't change

Associate
If you're being required to work bank holidays, then you should be receiving 8 additional days off in lieu. If you have the option to work the bank holidays for double time and choose to take that up then that is your choice.

My guess is that the employer treats the bank holidays as 'optional' but in practice they are required working days, in which case they are breaking the law

Associate
The wording on my contract is similar in the sense they separate the selectable holiday days (20) and the bank holidays, stating 20 days leave plus the other 8. I'd be incredibly surprised if OP, and others working for the same company, are all losing out on the statutory requirements.

Associate
why would you be incredibly surprised?

Because it's common knowledge that 28 days is the minimum holiday entitlement. OP might just be questioning it now, but I'm assuming he's not the only employee there and someone else is sure to have raised the point over the 2 years he's been there. It would seem unlikely that losing a huge proportion of your entitlement is going to go uncomplained about for very long.

Man of Honour
with paid bank holidays that is 28days a year.
if you are forced to work them, then you should get a day in lieu. if its optional then you are taking the money.

Soldato
ok so the company I work for only gives us 20 days holidays a yr ..
they pay even if you don't want it double time on bank hols .
I've tried to talk to them but they say it's legal ..
and I say no we must have 28 days away from work every yr ..
contacted acas they say the same ..
now I don't want to lose my job been there nearly 2 yrs
and im getting on a bit ..
so what can I do ?
20 days + bank holidays or are you including them!

Man of Honour
Yeah definitely should be getting 20 days clear and the option of days in lieu though might be compelled to work the bank holidays due to the nature of the job.

One thing I like where I work now - they are generous on holidays and breaks beyond what they absolutely have to by law - and I only have to take 4 days out of my allowance to cover bank holidays (we have to choose to work 4 of them).

Soldato
This is the most cryptic request for information ever. It looks like the OP has been told this is wrong and still continues to confuse everyone else about what is his requirement.

Back
Top Bottom