Open University

Associate
Hey all, was wondering if anyone has any experience of open university courses and how they found it?

It's not possible for me to return to full time education and thought this may be exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Caporegime
good overall - course books are well written etc...

what are you looking to gain?

if its the qualification you're after then you could also consider the University of London External program - if you don't want the tutorials/coursework etc.. but just some books, syllabus, exams....

If its just the education/knowledge aspect and you're not fussed about the qualification aspect then take a look at coursera, edx and udacity

Soldato
I did a degree in Computing through it. It was very good, takes a bit of getting used to but it's pitched at a good level. Computing is well-suited to distance learning though imo, I'm not sure what other subjects would be like.

Associate
I did a course in 2000 and am about to start an MBA in May. Bloody hard work, but worthwhile!

I suspect it depends upon the subject area. The previous course had lots of compare/contrast assignments with other people in my tutor group, which proved tricky due to the mix. More technical or knowledge based subjects would be simpler.

Good luck if you go for it!

Soldato
I completed my ICT degree with the OU at the end of 2011, for me it was my only option for Higher Education so I jumped straight at the chance to get a degree and I'm happy I did. Some of my courses for my ICT degree were of no interest to me, but I had to do them as a requirement for the ICT degree which is the closest degree to what I'm interested in. Other than that, the OU is great, good tutors, good course materials.

Associate
Course, support, materials are all super good. Course packs were significantly better than what you get provided at "proper" uni tbh.

If you're gonna do it make sure you make use of all the support you get for free.

The tricky part is motivation tbh.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies all, I'm looking at doing computing and Business through it. May I ask how long it took?

For me I think it took 5 years in total, because I started slow just to check it out with 1 course at a time, and it wasn't until I was onto my 3rd/4th course that I started doing several at the same time. How long it takes though entirely depends on what pace you want to go at. An honours degree is 360 credits, so if you do 120 credits worth of courses a year, it'll take you 3 years, or you could do just 60 points worth of courses a year and it'll take 6 years.

Last edited:
Soldato
Currently doing a course through open now and it seems fine. The material is good and the tutor is very helpful and knows what he is talking about.

But I joined a FB group for people doing the same course and there's one or two who seem to have tutors who don't know the subject at all. So that's something to keep an eye out for, but I do believe you can change tutor if you're not happy.

Soldato
I'm currently working towards my BA Business Studies.
I've done 120 points at level 1, 60 "in the bag" for level 2 and the module I'm currently doing (which ends with an exam in about 2 months time) is another 60 points at level 2.
I'm starting a 60 point level 3 in November with my intention of doing my final 60 point level 3 sometime in the second half of next year.

I've found the experience good. Level 1 modules you can do a couple at the same time. More difficult with level 2 (although I had a 1 month overlap with mine). I don't think I'd want to do more than one level 3 at any given time.

The assessments are good. Most courses don't end with an exam, I tried to dodge the exam modules, but alas my BA is going to demand 3 exams.

I don't know if I'd have got into the OU if my place of work hadn't been sponsoring me. We pay 50/50 for the modules and then they refund me the 50% I paid on successful passing of the module - so in effect they are funding me through my whole BA.

If you've not done it before ease yourself in with something small and see how you get on.

Soldato
Doing an MSc in Technology Management module by module while I work full time. It has been good so far, you just have to keep on top of the TMAs (assignments). Their marking is a little harsh though, but that just might be because of the step up from undergrad.

Soldato
Doing an MSc in Technology Management module by module while I work full time. It has been good so far, you just have to keep on top of the TMAs (assignments). Their marking is a little harsh though, but that just might be because of the step up from undergrad.

If you don't mind me asking, are you paying for the MSc entirely yourself? because I've always been interested in doing the MSc Advanced Networking, but it's fairly expensive and at postgrad level there seems to be no funding support available.

Soldato
If you don't mind me asking, are you paying for the MSc entirely yourself? because I've always been interested in doing the MSc Advanced Networking, but it's fairly expensive and at postgrad level there seems to be no funding support available.

I believe most banks offer a CDL (Career Development Loan) at a fairly low APR to help people out like this :)

Man of Honour
I did a course in 2000 and am about to start an MBA in May. Bloody hard work, but worthwhile!

I suspect it depends upon the subject area. The previous course had lots of compare/contrast assignments with other people in my tutor group, which proved tricky due to the mix. More technical or knowledge based subjects would be simpler.

Good luck if you go for it!

My wife is doing an MBA with the ou at the mo. It's a very good course. I did one full time with a US business school and I think her materials and level of knowledge are better.

Soldato

Yeh I'm paying it myself through the monthly option available. Unfortunately they don't accept payment by CDL which is annoying. If you are working full time see if your workplace will pay for some of it, I would have done this but I have only been in my current job a few months.

I believe most banks offer a CDL (Career Development Loan) at a fairly low APR to help people out like this :)

Unfortunately Open Uni don't take CDL payment, they do have a monthly payment option though. This option would help if doing the course at another uni though

My wife is doing an MBA with the ou at the mo. It's a very good course. I did one full time with a US business school and I think her materials and level of knowledge are better.

OU courses seem to be brilliant in content, but I think for an MBA half the value is in going to a school that is in the Financial Times top 100, it does depend on which field you work in I suppose

Last edited:
Soldato
I am doing a degree with them, Computing and IT on the software development pathway.

The support so far (finishing one module, starting another with a little overlap so far) has been good, and the provided study materials are excellent. My only issue has been how long it takes for you to get your marks back on your assignments, far longer than the 10 working days promise.

And motivation. That has been the hardest part so far. With no (well very few) set class times it isn't always easy to just buckle down and study.

Associate
I'm considering a course at open university. My only problem is that I'm worried i wont be able to find all the time to do it. I feel I could and would motivate myself, its just the 18 hours per week that they state I would need to complete the course at a 50% rate, which for my course, would take 6 years at 18 hours per week.

Does it really take that many hours, or is that just a rough over estimated time?

The course I'm wanting to do would be this one

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/pathways/q61-4.htm

Soldato
I'm considering a course at open university. My only problem is that I'm worried i wont be able to find all the time to do it. I feel I could and would motivate myself, its just the 18 hours per week that they state I would need to complete the course at a 50% rate, which for my course, would take 6 years at 18 hours per week.

Does it really take that many hours, or is that just a rough over estimated time?

The course I'm wanting to do would be this one

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/pathways/q61-4.htm

It depends how familiar you are with the subject. If you have no experience in the area at all then the estimates aren't usually too bad. But for example when I did my ICT degree I already had good experience as I was using computers since childhood, and the level 1 courses were fairly easy (such as the maths course being around GCSE level, dealing with quadratic equations and such as the toughest bit), so I went through the early courses in under half the estimated time needed.

Your best bet is to try and find someone who has done those courses and can give you an idea of the subject matter a bit so you can judge how well you know the subject already, and hopefully some feedback on how tough the course is.

Back
Top Bottom