OpenMW / Morrowind

Soldato
Has anyone played Morrowind via OpenMW? https://openmw.org/en/

It looks like it supports multi-core and is at a stage where you can play the whole game now. I'm not clear on mod support though. Keen to hear from people who have tried this out seeing as the overhaul doesn't perform that great even on a meaty system.

Soldato
not seen this, might take a look.

been waiting for skywind to get released (assuming it ever does), i missed morrowind the first time round and trying to play it now is quite the time shock in terms of the implementation of game mechanics and the lack of fidelity even with every setting maxed. would love to be able to play through it with the skyrim mechanics/ a mod list i don't have to start from scratch.

Caporegime
I can't say I can remember having any problems running the graphics/sound overhaul mod.

Interesting link, though. I'll bear it in mind as I'm due a playthrough of this truly great game. :)

Soldato
OP
Skywind looks like it'll be very good but it is using Skyrim's key mechanics so there won't be the same level of customisation.

Very impressed with the voice actors they're using though.

On the subject of Skyrim, I wish they hadn't dropped levitate but I suppose that could have made Skyrim too easy.

Soldato
Skywind looks like it'll be very good but it is using Skyrim's key mechanics so there won't be the same level of customisation.

Very impressed with the voice actors they're using though.

On the subject of Skyrim, I wish they hadn't dropped levitate but I suppose that could have made Skyrim too easy.

Guess it depends on what your familiar with, there's a lot of mollycoddling in skyrim (fast travel, full voicing, run all the time etc) that morrowind doesnt have, but i dont play games like that for the difficulty so much as the story.

Plus ofc it should allow for the majority of skyrim mods which presumably will be a bit more up to date than their morrowind counterparts.

Soldato
I might have to give this a go. I have the GOTY edition of Morrowind but I haven't ever really played it. Partly because I'm not sure which mods I should use. When modding Elder Scrolls games I normally just install the unofficial code patch so that I have all the latest bug fixes.

If anyone has any suggestions for mods I should look at let me know. I normally try and keep the game as close to original as possible but graphics mods work well.

Caporegime
I might have to give this a go. I have the GOTY edition of Morrowind but I haven't ever really played it. Partly because I'm not sure which mods I should use. When modding Elder Scrolls games I normally just install the unofficial code patch so that I have all the latest bug fixes.

If anyone has any suggestions for mods I should look at let me know. I normally try and keep the game as close to original as possible but graphics mods work well.

From past experience, I can recommend the Sound & Graphics Overhaul: http://www.moddb.com/mods/morrowind.../downloads/morrowind-overhaul-sounds-graphics

There is also another called 'Rebirth 4.3', though this I have yet to try out: http://www.moddb.com/mods/morrowind-rebirth

Going by what you said in your post, I'd probably try out the Sound/Graphics Overhaul first since it just gives everything a fresh coat of paint rather than make much in the way of gameplay changes.

Last edited:
Associate
Might have to reinstall this now and try out some mods.

Such a good game, it's a shame Bethesda are dumbing newer games down for consoles. I suppose it's inevitable though.

Back
Top Bottom