OpenOffice

Soldato
I use it at home, because it's free. It has it's quirks, but for a free software suite, it is leaps and bounds ahead of some of the competition. I sometimes use it to make changes to work i've done at the office using MSO, and the compatibility is fine.

I don't use it enough to judge as to wether it would make an able replacement for MSO in a heavy usage environment though.

Associate
I use it at home, because it's free. It has it's quirks, but for a free software suite, it is leaps and bounds ahead of some of the competition. I sometimes use it to make changes to work i've done at the office using MSO, and the compatibility is fine.

I don't use it enough to judge as to wether it would make an able replacement for MSO in a heavy usage environment though.

It has been said here (probably by Burnsy) that things like macros and massive excel formulae do not work well.

In other words Open Office is more than sufficient for the average home user but inadequate for many businesses.

Man of Honour
It has been said here (probably by Burnsy) that things like macros and massive excel formulae do not work well.

Also anything that depends on VBA scripts won't work.

In other words Open Office is more than sufficient for the average home user but inadequate for many businesses.

I agree, but I couldn't use OO full time. It's good for what it is and for what you pay, but can't really compete with MS Office, especially 2007.

Soldato
Yeah its great for a freebie and is fine for bread and butter word processing but the more advanced features are a bit flaky.

People generally use it because it's free, and Linux users or those with an aversion to Microsoft do too. It's very good for what it is but given the choice I'd go with MS Office every time.

Soldato
I agree also useful for most home tasks and 99% of business tasks as well. Quite a few public offices have started using it as well. Which I think is good as most office workers don't use excel for more than basic accounting tasks and document writing.

Soldato
I use it, not sure why though for what I use it I could just Wordpad. It annoys me quite a bit, it has all these auto correct thingys you cant even write anything without it going "No thats wrong", "Your not supposed to do it like that" " Capital goes here, fool!".

Back
Top Bottom