Openreach and Zen

wnb

wnb

Soldato
I needed a new phone line for my new business and since zen have been good at home so I gave them a ring back on the 20\11\2018 for a new line. It's now 15\2\19 and I am still waiting for a new line. I needed a new pole but only found this out on the 10\12\18 when the eniginer turned up to intall the line and he told me I need a pole. Since then I have waited in on three seperate occasion for a pole to be installed.

Four days ago I was told by zen it's the highest priority only to be found out that's it's been raised to the highest prioirty with openreach. Other than 3 failed installation dates from openreach I've been told that openreach are trying to find out if the subcontractor has received delivery of the pole for me.

I have lost custom due to this, I'm no closer to getting a line installed, has anyone got any ideas on how to proceed with this? I've complained to zen but so far that's not yeilded any results.

Soldato
Zen is at Openreach's mercy. It'll get done when Openreach (or their contractor) get around to it.

If not having this line available is going to cost you custom what's your fallback position if there's ever an extended fault?

Caporegime
People might be able to help you work around your problems re: the lost business if you put some details in here. Needing a new pole put up is very rare and I don't think there's much you can do to expedite things.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
OP
Zen is at Openreach's mercy. It'll get done when Openreach (or their contractor) get around to it.

If not having this line available is going to cost you custom what's your fallback position if there's ever an extended fault?
Email, Facebook, mobile and the original land line which is in our old office with an answer phone.

The new line was supposed to be in place when we switched premesis.

Soldato
That all sounds like stuff that could easily be handled using mobile data.

Why haven’t you put a call divert on the old landline instead of an answer phone?

Caporegime
Port your old landline to a VoIP service, it gives you so many more options in future for call routing, portability etc. Means you can stop paying the line rental and checking in on an answerphone at least.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
OP
Port your old landline to a VoIP service, it gives you so many more options in future for call routing, portability etc. Means you can stop paying the line rental and checking in on an answerphone at least.

We still need a land line for fibre, Just called zen 5 mintes ago they are expecting another update from Openreach 'by close of play' tomorrow. Aparrently they are still trying to find out if the sub contractor has got delivery of a pole yet.

Caporegime
I know you need the line for a broadband service, the recommendation was to avoid tying your business number to a single location, to give you options in the future and mean you can receive calls now.

Soldato
A new order has absolutely no SLA. If you absolutely MUST have the internet and your business will lose money if you are without internet then a basic DSL service is the wrong product for you (or at least without 4G backup it's wrong).

Maybe consider taking a 4G service to use in the interim and then when BTOR finally get round to installing a pole and relevant hardware you'll have a backup for when it undoubtedly does develop a fault.

Soldato
Surely you investigated the 3G/4G side and line situation before agreeing on premises? What was your backup option if the line failed if being contactable is a vital part of your business?

Soldato
I'm really not sure captain hindsighting this situation is in any way helpful tbh

What you see as hindsighting, I see as asking the op what other options have been explored. From post history it’s obvious this was a known issue.

Part of being a small business owner is actually acting the part. If you rely on telecoms/IP connectivity then you ensure you have a minimum of two options. That could be as simple as diverting/using VoIP for telco, IP wise it could be 3/4G or some form of community WISP/broadband provider or (and I cringe typing this) an agreement with a neighbour to allow Wi-fi/FEMTOCell/Hot-Spot use - yes in desperate times those BT Wi-fi with FON connections can be useful.

My point is as a retired (feels strange saying that in your 30’s) business owner who spent many years in a very rural location where being cut-off from civilisation by telco/gas/water/elec was a regular thing, my livelihood depended on connectivity and if the lack of it was impacting my ability to earn/reputation/repeat business, I would (and did) find a solution to make it work.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
OP
We all ready owned the land (been in the family since 1980) we built the premises, we never thought getting a phone line would be an issue as the old premesis is 40 metre away. Infact we did not plan on getting a new phone line, we had a private telecomms company come out and they recommended us deck phones w ith a range of 1k. Sounded good on paper but in reality they lost signal with the base 5 meters from the building. Anyhow openreach have been let down by their subcontactor and they are now planning on installing the pole themselves, zen have said they should get yet another update by the 5\3\19. In the meantime I have 4 new sim cards to try to see if I can get 4g from another provider.

Caporegime
If you built the new building on your own land and didn’t engage with Openreach until it was all done then it’s kind of a lesson learned for you. I presume you worked with the power company to get electricity, and you had to dig the trench and supply the cable yourself. Same with water/sewage.

You’re getting a new pole put up for the price of a standard line install - you’ve not done too badly. Just get a length of outdoor cable with some ends put on it and kick it into a hedgerow until the pole goes up if you’re desperate.

Associate
Wait a sec, correct me here.... The new premises is 40m from the old?? VOIP phones as mentioned above is a solution.

Or even cheaper is to run a (or multiple) cat5e external grade cable. You do not even need to bother with VOIP as you can get normal phones with cat5e extenders.

If a new company is already in the premises, then why not explain the situation..... offer to pay half the net costs?

Soldato
Is the old premises still yours and have a working internet connection? If so that's your answer short term. As well as external cables if you have line of sight you can use a wireless point-to-point solution if needs be.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
OP
Yet another installation comes and goes. On the Thursay the 5th of April 2019 I was told by Zen that Openreach will be installing the pole and not the subcontracter the work was due to be completed by the 15\3\19 and the new line installed on the 18\3\2019. It has been 116 days since I ordered a phone line and broad band.

Back
Top Bottom