Openreach speedy up installing G.Fast pod

Soldato
It's appear that Openreach are now speedy up installing G.fast pod cabinets (pcp) not the fibre cabinets in many area's in UK.

It's rumour that Openreach to launch G.Fast service this autumn from many isp's. Time to tell sooner or later.
l4Pc9xH.jpg

Associate
Yeah I have one here too, question is whether I'll be close enough to even get g.fast. I'm around 500 meters away from my cabinet from what I can tell. I'd like faster upload speed more then faster download speed. Hopefully I'll find out when it goes live, hopefully in autumn.

Soldato
One of the problems with G.Fast, is using all the G.Fast bandwidth it will interfere with VDSL.

So G.Fast is great news, however it would be even faster if they could eliminate the cross talk from existing VDSL service.

Associate
I think it’s just a waste of money, people with FTTC will just get faster FTTC.

I only recently got FTTC on a new build estate, we had no lines at all for 6 months and Openreach ran copper to the plots even after a few asking to pay privately for fibre.

18 months later we got FTTC which I think was just a run from an existing cabinet that was 20M away. Virgin cab is even closer but OpenReach always have priority on the ducts I believe until a set number of years.

Copper has passed its sell by date now and Openreach shouldn’t be trying to squeeze more funding to milk an existing date infrastructure which requires paying a line rental for a phone I don’t even have.

Associate
Would be great to get G.Fast here, but line length is dubious. It's between 200-400m away walk wise, but length wise could actually be longer, so I may not beneift. The other issue, is that BT haven't been great with handling issues on the line, and it now appears that it's been banded to 59mbps, when it could in theory handle at least 69mbps. And this all coming from a line that was originally at 82mbps originally. So all I'd be doing is paying for more, and if I do that, I might as well petition Hyperoptic for a line for gigbit net instead.

Soldato
OP
FTTPoD will get cheaper once the whole UK got G.Fast & few FTTP because FTTC would be completed roll out. So, Openreach will thinking it time to give residential customers a much cheaper FTTPoD from G.Fast. But, I think it won't happen until G.Fast have completed rolled out as it take approx 8 years to do that.

Associate
Said line provides your broadband.

I understand that and that’s why it annoys me, virgin media don’t force you to have a phone line and neither did a previous ISP that delivered broadband wirelessly.

If BT was to run fibre to my door then I’m assuming I wouldn’t need a copper line, my point is if BT did this across the network I wouldn’t be the only customer taking the cheaper tariff that removes the phone line. This would obviously wipe out a massive chunk of recurring revenue so FTTC was step 1 of avoiding this, step 2 is now these pods to squeeze another few years out of the network.

Man of Honour
VM and wireless providors don't use the line to provide the service. If you have FTTP then you can pay BB only as the voice remains on the old circuit.

VM broadband only is far from cheap.

Soldato
VM and wireless providors don't use the line to provide the service. If you have FTTP then you can pay BB only as the voice remains on the old circuit.

VM broadband only is far from cheap.

I was paying £33pm for a 100Mb connection with Virgin. I'm now paying £17pm for a 1.6Mb connection. I thought Virgin was good value for money.

Man of Honour
I was paying £33pm for a 100Mb connection with Virgin. I'm now paying £17pm for a 1.6Mb connection. I thought Virgin was good value for money.
That's just luck of the draw, you can get upto 80 Mbit with BT/PlusNet etc for less than £33 if you look around, with a much better back end network and higher upload.

Soldato
That's just luck of the draw, you can get upto 80 Mbit with BT/PlusNet etc for less than £33 if you look around, with a much better back end network and higher upload.
Only if you're one of the lucky ones that is capable of achieving such speeds with FTTC, otherwise VM do offer the best in terms of speeds and value.

Back
Top Bottom