Openreach Symmetric 1Gbps/1Gbps from April 2025

I wonder how many take the 1gb for the upload speed at the minute that will happily drop down to say 300mb when it's symmetric.

Last edited:
No way this is going to be a free upgrade for people, would be nice but I highly doubt it considering they've only ever offered it on lease lines.

Was one of the nice benefits of being on a different network that you get the same speed for no extra charge.

Nice - but likely a pretty penny extra, and probably too little too late... I got an email from YouFibre yesterday asking if I wanted 2Gb (or 8Gb) symmetric for less than I'm paying Aquiss for 940/110 atm, and they'll happily pay off the rest of my Aquiss contract for me to boot. Why yes, yes I do. :cool: I have a Beelink EQ12 (N100, 16GB DDR5, 500GB NVMe, dual Intel 2.5Gb NICs) arriving today for OPNSense/OpenWRT, and away I go.

Nice - but likely a pretty penny extra, and probably too little too late... I got an email from YouFibre yesterday asking if I wanted 2Gb (or 8Gb) symmetric for less than I'm paying Aquiss for 940/110 atm, and they'll happily pay off the rest of my Aquiss contract for me to boot. Why yes, yes I do. :cool: I have a Beelink EQ12 (N100, 16GB DDR5, 500GB NVMe, dual Intel 2.5Gb NICs) arriving today for OPNSense/OpenWRT, and away I go.
Very nice. Don’t forget to factor in the cease fee.

It’s all great but barely seeing the need for it at the moment. I am with Brsk and had 1gb up and down and dropped this to 500/500 and it’s still blazingly fast and the massive upload barely gets used. It’s nicest usage is iPhone iCloud backups..

It was the poor upload that moved me away from OR (Aquiss) over to Lightspeed, that and the price too. Glad to see OR are finally rolling it out. Dread to think what the pricing will be like though.

Glad to see OR are finally rolling it out. Dread to think what the pricing will be like though.
Will be more expensive for 1gig / 1 gig. This is why I much prefer to see Openreach annual rental for 160/160 and 330/330 will be reasonable pricing. I can see current pricing via Openreach FTTP below:

Openreach Pricing quote:

Up to 1000Mbit/s /220Mbit/s 01/04/2024 £1,173.36

but if it was Up to 1000Mbit/s /1000Mbit/s 01/04/2025 £????? - I think £1,500.00 (will cost more than £1.173.36 as I think many ISP's will not selling it if it was far too expensive!

I'm rockin' 36mbps here and not even out in the boondocks, do wish BT would concentrate on rolling out decent broadband for everyone instead of cherry picking a few
It's those cherry picked few that pay for the majority though. That's why the top end products come before mass rollouts.

Will be more expensive for 1gig / 1 gig. This is why I much prefer to see Openreach annual rental for 160/160 and 330/330 will be reasonable pricing. I can see current pricing via Openreach FTTP below:

Openreach Pricing quote:

but if it was Up to 1000Mbit/s /1000Mbit/s 01/04/2025 £????? - I think £1,500.00 (will cost more than £1.173.36 as I think many ISP's will not selling it if it was far too expensive!
Those prices are per annum I assume :eek:

EDIT: Read your post properly... "Openreach annual rental"

Last edited:

Openreach Pricing quote:

It's not coming until next April. They could just not sell 1000/220 in areas with symmetrical and charge the same or, more likely, retire it and release the new product at a much lower price point.

They didn't want to sell 220 up, they had to as a condition of BDUK so made it prohibitively expensive. This they have for sure been nudged into it but not by regulation this time.

Openreach FTTP prices go down as well as up. Check the price of 330/30 a while back...

Feels like it's 5 years too late, but good news if OR is your only option. For me, 3 out of 4 properties are now with alt-nets, the fourth is stuck waiting on planned build taking place after a merger. I can't see it being viable to come back unless something drastically changes, admittedly it will change, we're in the early stages of a period of mergers, acquisitions and failures that will likely run for the next decade or two, it's going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

Will definitely be interesting to see how they price this and the packages they offer. I’d gladly swap from 900/120 to 250/250 if they offered a package like that at a similar price to what I’m paying now

Seeing as OR seem to be the only fibre infrastructure provider who doesn't offer symmetric speeds as default, I think they need to do this to keep competitive.

Many years ago upload speed really wasn't important to most people, as 99%+ of people were consumers only. With the increase of video conferencing, vlogging, video based social media etc, a much larger portion of the population are now producers, as well as consumers & need a better upload speed because of it. OK, we don't all need 1Gb+ symmetric, but when you're paying for a 100Mb download & only getting 10Mb upload, that's stupid.

Back
Top Bottom