opensuse is amazing!

Soldato
After buggering about with countless linux distro's over the years, including starting out on suse. I have finally found a distro that I have gotten everyting working and looking good.

KDE4 has come along way and is really cool.

My Canon ip4700 actually works in linux, I was amazed that Canon had linux drivers. Then I was annoyed they were only i386. Then I found a post on opensuse forums that said they will work on 64bit if you move a file to a 65bit directory or summit. It worked! I can even print in automatic duplex!

I have now realised that samba is dog slow. Granted, not much I can do about that for my win7 machine. Today I discovered NFS 1000000000% easier to setup than samba and it doesn't cry at linux - linux network folder sharing. :)

Nvidia drivers and multimedia codecs were a click-a-way. :)

I copied my win7 font directory into opensuse. The only issue is OCUK forum font looks a little dodge compared to viewing it in win7. I made it abit better, I can live with it.

The desktop folder thingy on KDE desktop screen is an ace feature! I made an icon to my homefolder and my NFS shares!!! Proper easy to use!

After 5 years I have found/been bothered/able to get a fully working linux computer lol.

My affair with arch is over, opensuse I love you! and it's not brown!!!!! win :)

Soldato
The desktop folder thingy on KDE desktop screen is an ace feature! I made an icon to my homefolder and my NFS shares!!! Proper easy to use!

That feature killed KDE for me :p I just wanted to have desktop icons in ~/Desktop without wrapping them in an ugly box applet thingy... KDE 3.5.x was awesome though :)

Agree OpenSUSE is really nice though, doesn't quite measure up to Arch though IMO :D

Soldato
OP
That feature killed KDE for me :p I just wanted to have desktop icons without wrapping them in an ugly box applet thingy... KDE 3.5.x was awesome though :)

Agree OpenSUSE is really nice though, doesn't quite measure up to Arch though IMO :D

Arch taught me a lot but as a relative novice still I found I would be constantly fiddling with it and not actually using the computer if that makes sense? I would end up breaking Arch and would then reformat and start again lol. This fear of breaking meant I could never store data on it incase I broke it :p

I may still fiddle with arch in virtualbox for kicks.

Soldato
OP
I now don't think opensuse is so amazing :p

Font rendering in firefox is really bad, I installed the win7 fonts and tried all the tricks, it just looks bad.

Maybe it's KDE, maybe it's nvidia driver or maybe it's opensuse. I have tried ubuntu 9.10 and fonts are almost as good as win7 rendering, which is acceptable.

Now do I try and make gnome more modern? or download kubuntu? Unsure if I will face same issues with fonts...

Associate
Font rendering in firefox is really bad, I installed the win7 fonts and tried all the tricks, it just looks bad.
I assume you've been into yast and played with the font settings? (sub-pixel rendering, dpi, etc)

Maybe it's KDE, maybe it's nvidia driver or maybe it's opensuse. I have tried ubuntu 9.10 and fonts are almost as good as win7 rendering, which is acceptable.
Are you using the distro packaged drivers, or the ones from nvidia.com?

Now do I try and make gnome more modern? or download kubuntu? Unsure if I will face same issues with fonts...

Personally, I'm not a fan of gnome, gtk isn't that nice a toolkit and it always feels "clunky" to me, but... variety, spice, life, etc.

Soldato
just fonts in firefox? Or all fonts. Or only GTK2 apps? or what?

Have you changed the fonts in Firefox - is it just one font or all fonts?

Do the same fonts used in firefox look better in other places outwith firefox?

Associate
I had the same problem with fonts in opensuse kde. The antialiasing doesnt appear to stick.

I prefer KDE4 but gnome seems to handle fonts a lot better. Fonts in Ubuntu or Mint look pretty good. If I could get the fonts looking comparable in KDE I would go with that.

Soldato
OP
just fonts in firefox? Or all fonts. Or only GTK2 apps? or what?

Have you changed the fonts in Firefox - is it just one font or all fonts?

Do the same fonts used in firefox look better in other places outwith firefox?

it just seems to be firefox, I have found a post that may help. Ubuntu is vastly superior in it's font rendering. Maybe it's just gnome thats better, but gnome looks abit "Win95" compared to kde4 :p

Associate
Been using Windows for 15 years, I'm now diving into the linux world.

I moved from OpenSUSE 11.2 to Mandriva One 2010 very recently, it installed with video codecs, mp3 playback, firefox, flash, Nvidia drivers - all out of the box. I also find Mandriva's control panel a lot faster than Yast - especially when setting up printers. I like how they kept the menu simple and icons on the desktop as default. Mandriva so far, is excellent all round - feels much better than Kubuntu.

Soldato
OP
I fixed my font issue, I had to have the win7 fonts installed from my other HDD, then set LCD thingy on and only have hinting on slight. Looks 10 times better now.

I now have my printer working and wait for it....

Office 2007!!

I forgot that in 2007 crossover was given away for free, I dived deep inside my gmail inbox to digout my linux and final use my free crossover program.

I must say that crossover is loads easier than wine! A few clicks later and office was installed!

So now I have good font rendering, a full working printer, MS Office 2007, nvidia drivers, all multimedia codecs and DVD support and fully working audio.

After 5 years lol I finally have everything working. :)

Oh .walls you can have icons on the KDE4 desktop and not use the Desktop Folder feature :)

Soldato
Yep, I used OpenSuSE since day 1 of it, started back on SuSE 8.0, if you didn't need wincrash to game, I may be all linux. I don't even log into my bank, credit card or stock trading site on windows. The funny thing is, every button on my MS Intelimouse optical worked from installation.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm posting from OpenSuse 11.2 (live USB) right now, and I must admit I'm blown away. I last tried it around v10.x and.... :o

But now? :D I set up squid, apache and vsftpd via YaST's plugins within a matter of seconds, and my machine is absolutely ripping through stuff you take for granted as being slow on Windows 7 (loading the database tables up on NZBMatrix in Firefox for example). Blink and miss it on OpenSUSE! :D

I just wish I could get SABnzbd+ working. I've compiled and installed all the deps and reqs manually, but despite confirming they're all 'OK!', SAB won't run. I'll have another go tomorrow when I'm not so tired. So far though? I'm tempted to hose C:\ and convert back to the dark side for a while. My PC finally feels fast again, plus I'm getting 6.2MiB/sec thanks to superior networking.

Soldato
Over the years I have moved ovcer to SuSE more and more. Its just getting better and better, but...

KDE 4?

KDE 4 ? WTF?

For many years I have loved Mandrake... Then Mandriva and its kind of lost it for me now.

I moved to Fedora and I knew id found my soul mate but alas, I could not even get it to play MP3s without asking for money... I know that its possible, but Im sorry, the sheer nerve of asking meant that I will never touch Fedora again.

Then SuSE and I have a love for Linux again... But KDE 4?

Oh bloody hells bells, whats this tripe?

Stuff it, I have never liked DEBIAN based Distros, and I have avoided Gnome Desktop like the plague and what do I go an do? UBUNTU!

I think that KDE 4 is killing Linux off for me... Whats up with it? Rotating ****** windows?

Jeez

I like the sig though oxy... Very true!

Soldato
I hear where you're coming from FatRakoon. To be fair to Fedora (a distro I love deeply, admitted :p) though, because they're US-based it's absolutely illegal for them to even link to the community maintained MP3 codecs. It's pathetic, I agree, but people have gotten into trouble over there in the 'Land of the Free' for even referring to the free community codecs.

Alas over here we're much better off, and can safely ignore the Fluendo license offer and simply install community codecs. No harm, no foul. It's not Fedora's fault. They still haven't bettered Fedora 8 though, imho. :)

Soldato
OP
Over the years I have moved ovcer to SuSE more and more. Its just getting better and better, but...

KDE 4?

KDE 4 ? WTF?

For many years I have loved Mandrake... Then Mandriva and its kind of lost it for me now.

I moved to Fedora and I knew id found my soul mate but alas, I could not even get it to play MP3s without asking for money... I know that its possible, but Im sorry, the sheer nerve of asking meant that I will never touch Fedora again.

Then SuSE and I have a love for Linux again... But KDE 4?

Oh bloody hells bells, whats this tripe?

Stuff it, I have never liked DEBIAN based Distros, and I have avoided Gnome Desktop like the plague and what do I go an do? UBUNTU!

I think that KDE 4 is killing Linux off for me... Whats up with it? Rotating ****** windows?

Jeez

I like the sig though oxy... Very true!

Have you considered the LXDE?

I felt KDE3.5 was to "Win 95" for me. :) So I like KDE4.

Can you not simply install kde3.5 in your linux distro of choice?

Back
Top Bottom