Operation Flashpoint Red River (Digital download only on PC 22/04/11)

Soldato
I agree with Tefal here. ArmA is great but it took me soooo long to work out all the commands and dont even talk to me about flying in that game but BC2 is just does not give you enough options.
I though America's Army was a decent medium but needed less recruitment drive and better graphics.
Although it does need to be balanced by more serious sam style FPS being released for ****ing around on.

Last edited:
Soldato
well for a start take red river out back and shoot it in the head,m then try and pretend it never existed.

i mean more a medium between arma's more extreme realism and games like bc2 etc.

arma's open maps an approach but maybe not the constant command spam from squad (maybe a simplified command rose or just more standard ai).

Didn't Dragon Rising have a command wheel?

also a more standard engine like frostbite or FB2 with destruction etc, and the odd set piece.

Fair enough. Although if you make everything destructable, you'd be left fighting in rubble.

what i really really want though fro ma game is really decent ai that adapts rather than is just heavily scripted.

In a modern themed shooter? Unlikely :p It would cost too much and overwhelm most players if it were possible anyway.

Associate
This game isn't getting a good reception anywhere, for what its worth.
Nope, and rightly so.

Also depends what CoD game you play although you do have a point, if anything BF:BC2 was more "USA! USA!"
Bad Company is more like a sort of "Kelly's Heroes" tale, anything cheesy or patriotic is most likely done with tongue firmly in cheek.

Why cant we play a singleplayer FPS as German forces?
Because they lost the bloody war ;) Still, I don't mind flying BF109s in IL2, so I don't think I'd mind playing as a German infantryman in an FPS. Of course many people's sensitivity to such things varies.

or Israeli (controversial)?
This would be awesome. It would be both original, and relevant to today's socio-political climate. The variety and frequency of Israeli military operations make for an impressive resource for game creators to draw upon. Such a game would have to remain politically neutral, whilst illustrating the nature of the conflicts "over" there in their true form (from a philosophical, moral, religious and humanitarian standpoint) and I'm not sure that there are many developers in the industry who are mature enough to give such a game the treatment it deserves.

or any other UN/NATO military force.
Does UNATCO count? ;)

UN forces deploy primarily for peacekeeping actions. Indeed, the last time they deployed troops in any sort of war-fighting capacity, was against North Korea in the 1950s.

Why always American? Surely America isn't that narrow minded that they wont buy a game where you don't play as their military?
No, and I think CODMW is a decent example of this (main protagonists being British)

And another thing. As a British company why didn't Codemasters do a game where you play as British forces?
Because the whole "British troops deploying to generistan" thing was handled very recently in the ARMA 2 BAF DLC. Also Codemasters suck.

Caporegime
Didn't Dragon Rising have a command wheel?

possibly played it for about 5 minutes before started searching for the button to shoot myself i n the face

Fair enough. Although if you make everything destructable, you'd be left fighting in rubble.

Not really SP campaigns don't stay in the same place long enough for it to be an issue, combined with the lack of ammo for high powered weapons.

In a modern themed shooter? Unlikely :p It would cost too much and overwhelm most players if it were possible anyway.

yeah:9

it's why i prefer mp more than fps sp now days, the ai is just too dull where as people are interesting.

Soldato
In MW ONE of the protagonists was British the main one was still American but I see your point.
Israeli Military game would be awesome but I think it would just be too difficult to implement without really really annoying a lot of people that we do not want to annoy.
German forces would be great as their current military is arguably the best in the world (Think British levels of training with American levels of funding and German levels of technology :D)

what i really really want though fro ma game is really decent ai that adapts rather than is just heavily scripted.

This made me think of the episode of TNG where Data requests a worthy adversary in the holodeck.

Last edited:
Soldato
possibly played it for about 5 minutes before started searching for the button to shoot myself i n the face

Okay, I get the picture :p

Not really SP campaigns don't stay in the same place long enough for it to be an issue, combined with the lack of ammo for high powered weapons.

Which shooters do you like right now out of interest?

yeah:(

it's why i prefer mp more than fps sp now days, the ai is just too dull where as people are interesting.

They also tend to do annoying things like spam the in-game chat, teamkill and ignore any attempt at coordination. ;)

Caporegime
Which shooters do you like right now out of interest?

used to be cs:s then moved to l4d1/2 cause the team play was much more fun (used to play with just a regular 4 -6 people so we got really good at knowing what each other would do) but that became a bit samey and the opponents were usually **** or annoying.

now mostly bc2 as again we've got around 4-10 of us that play regularly get on voice chat and work together but my aim seems to be messed up lately and it feels weird, so minecraft has been taking more of my time.

They also tend to do annoying things like spam the in-game chat, teamkill and ignore any attempt at coordination. ;)

that's why i normally play with a set group ;)

i found playing l4d2 with them for so long we have a lot more coordination than most groups who just play regular fps games (we used to do expert realism runs where there's no outline an 4 hits from a zombie in caps you, so everyone got really good at knowing exactly where each other was and to keep telling each other where we were and where we were going next)

Soldato
used to be cs:s then moved to l4d1/2 cause the team play was much more fun (used to play with just a regular 4 -6 people so we got really good at knowing what each other would do) but that became a bit samey and the opponents were usually **** or annoying.

Well I think of L4D as a glorified zombie mod for the source engine, it certainly didn't justify a sequel with the same base gameplay.

now mostly bc2 as again we've got around 4-10 of us that play regularly get on voice chat and work together but my aim seems to be messed up lately and it feels weird, so minecraft has been taking more of my time.

Well if you ever play BF2, let me know, I'm getting tired of random public servers.

Back on topic, I find it amusing that the Guardian review of Red River is more skeptical than the PC Gamer one:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/apr/24/operation-flashpoint-red-river-review

"The vast scope of solutions to battlefield problems in earlier Flashpoint titles has, to a certain extent, been sacrificed to drive this storyline"

"The linearity, meanwhile, is not helped by graphics and AI blips doing their best to hamper the illusion of reality. Nonetheless, at Red River's core is a better-than-average FPS, albeit one offering potty-mouthed entertainment amid a dubious and somewhat facile storyline."

Soldato
OP
Have you looked at those screenshots?

A nice skybox, but those ground textures are of playstation 1 standard, grass looks crap, it's all very jagged, gun textures are completely lacking and I cannot find anything appealing in that except and average skybox
There not that bad I got the game a few days ago & obviously if you have low res textures @ 5040x1050 there going to look poor anyway as nothing can overcome low res/lack of detail but this game does not have many textures which look worse than most other recent PC games. It only supports x8 Trilinear Filtering not even Anisotropic is supported. Its not the best looking game ever but you can find shoddy looking textures in everything if you look as right now console textures are all most publishers are willing to pay for it seems..........

Ingame you rarely notice as your too busy surviving/using squad tactics anyway! Check out this new image from Batman Arkham City on PC. It does not look that great either! http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2011/03/Batman-Arkham-City-4.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well I think of L4D as a glorified zombie mod for the source engine, it certainly didn't justify a sequel with the same base gameplay.

not really, it was actually a game developed by a different company that was bought out by valve (l4d2 is "valves" main version of it hence the large changes)

Don't quite get how l4d1 is a glorified zombie mod?

Not seen a single mod that does anything like it, please don't tell me you mean the css style zombie mods where you just run round with a knife and a tinted screen as a "zombie" ?

Well if you ever play BF2, let me know, I'm getting tired of random public servers.

Tried bf2 but far too late to get into it trying it now is pretty bad the hit detections etc is not great and the game over all while amazing at the time just isn't quite the same.

It's like going back to hl1 where we all said how great the ai was yet now it seems very basic.

still bf3 this year so probably moving onto that.

Soldato
not really, it was actually a game developed by a different company that was bought out by valve (l4d2 is "valves" main version of it hence the large changes)

Fair enough.

Don't quite get how l4d1 is a glorified zombie mod?

Not seen a single mod that does anything like it, please don't tell me you mean the css style zombie mods where you just run round with a knife and a tinted screen as a "zombie" ?

It doesn't seem hugely removed from something like Killing Floor (with added scripting for the AI).

Tried bf2 but far too late to get into it trying it now is pretty bad the hit detections etc is not great and the game over all while amazing at the time just isn't quite the same.

It's like going back to hl1 where we all said how great the ai was yet now it seems very basic.

Alright, I'll think about picking up BC2 and joining your group then :)

Anyway enough off-topic now.

Associate
I was also going to mention that they should just do away with all the faux 'realism' stuff and just make it a BF2 clone. Big maps, hardware and 64 player pvp. Maybe mix up the modes a bit with variations of conquest and CTF.

It could turn out pretty well and give DICE a bit of direct competition. It would certainly get me more interested. Unfortunately they may have missed the boat with the BF3 news.

Man of Honour
Soldato
OP
Jpeg compressed & reduced 50% from 1920x1200 to save bandwidth!!! x8MSAA Trilinear x8AF Max Everything Else constant 60FPS with Vsync at all times regardless of the amount of onscreen action/debris.

Never played the other OpFlash games or BF/Arma series so cannot say how it compares to them. All I can say is that its a pretty solid squad based game which is highly playable in SP with 3AI squad mates but as with most games there are some very minor AI path glitches you just repeat the command again or move slightly or wait for the AI to sort itself out (which is does at all times). Its designed more around 3 Co-OP squad mates than SP anyway & all the MP is Co-Op based you just start a match & invite friends or let randoms join you decide how & can select plenty of other MP options to kick/host private matches etc etc.

As a game this plays like a cross between: Ghost Recon & Rainbow Six Vegas but set in the Afghanistan hills/villages. No QTE's whatsoever in this game anywhere for once you the player get to chose what you do gameplay wise but there are set objectives for each mission & some need doing within a reasonable time limit (the ingame pace is slow/careful most of the time anyway). If you stray too far away from the mission area you get warned by text & the screen starts to distort giving you enough time to return otherwise you fail the mission. In each of the 10 Campaign missions you get a bunch of sub goals to achieve before it will be complete. Some missions take well over an hour to complete as well its all about squad tactics & the right weapon at the right time if you go in all guns blazing thats not always the
best way to do this so unlike most recent games you actually have to use your brain a lot!!

I would say it has at least twice the gameplay of Crysis2+CODBlack Ops combined!!! (not hard I know!! LOL).

Ignore most mainstream reviews as well they were not paying attention especially all the BS about controls not working at all or units not responding duh that's because in some missions you cannot just call in air/ground support strikes from copters/planes/tanks/AA guns until you get the radio messages to say so its not like you have unlimited strike calls only in some missions & only when the time is right like you knocked out the ground AA so the jets can launch missiles etc etc. This is a game you have to pay attention in to hear the audio messages as it does not guide you on rails or hold your hand much (although it does generate ingame markers to the next objective).

The gfx are reasonable. It uses the EGO engine again and is DX9 only. Plenty of graphical options to adjust (2 pages worth) but its very well made so runs a constant 60FPS @ 1920x1200 with max everything including x8MSAA. For some reason it only supports Trilinear x8AF & as with most recent PC games there are several low res console textures but they are not that noticeable & no worse than other recent games. The big thing about the gfx are the size of the battle field its absolutely massive (not quite Fallout3 but bigger than any other PC FPS I can think of) & there is zero ingame loading (even the between missions loading is minimal anyway).

Audio is passable & the ingame troop banter is full of swear words especially Sgt Knox (played by the actor Al Matthews who played the squad sgt in the movie Aliens in 1986!!! he is also quite funny & well OTT. The tone of the game is Team America vs Insurgents!

Controls are pretty flawless. Keyboard + Mouse are fully configurable it also supports both the wired/wireless X360 controller. There was a day 1 patch (takes less than 2 mins to update/download) which fixes some very minor issues.

There are several menus for customising your character class & other game aspects like ingame menus/positions etc etc. If you play it on hardcore you get no ingame onscreen menus at all so need a good memory for all the commands but will struggle to survive unless you have 3 decent human Co-Op players. It obviously uses GFWL for LIVE achievements/Co-Op but thats pretty seamless nowadays just make sure your using an online profile & your good to go for Co-Op.

Not the best game ever made by far but also not the worse & pretty solid & bugs/glitches are very very low & unusually for a 2011 PC game you have to think for yourself & not just hit a single button to progress! I would give it 7.5/10 overall if it had ultra high res textures then perhaps a little more but you do not notice the low res ones that much anyway.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

twe

twe

Associate
Lol well its free so might as well try it out?

I would use a dedicated GPU otherwise it will look worse than the consoles as expected....

Man of Honour
Just completed this, thoughts below:

+I quite like the backdrop, has a kinda Fallout 3 feel in places but looks better
+Scripted dialog is for the most part well written although a little cheesy/OTT in places
+Some good missions for example the assault on a hill fortress
+Levelup gives an incentive to attempt secondary objectives etc
+Reasonable physics in terms of bullet drop etc, which makes destroying vehicles at a distance quite tough

-Squad orders seem generally not much use I basically had my team follow me all the time except when defending specific objectives
-Gameplay not as strong as Dragon Rising
-Fairly short game with only 10 missions that last around 30-60mins each on average
-Some missed opportunies I felt in terms of spicing up some of the missions e.g. final mission I felt they could have put some issue with your extraction making you fight another wave
-Could have done with some more variety of missions, maybe a vehicle gunner section or some indoor sections (focussed on ranged combat a bit too much, there is very little need for anything but scoped rifles)
-Although I liked the backdrop the story is pretty weak, it is more a collection of missions spliced together with no real sense of continuity of empathy with the overall objectives (unlike e.g. CoD series, latest MoH etc).

Back
Top Bottom