Opinions on 2 HP SAN's

Associate
Hi Guys,

We're looking to move to a virtualized environment for our Head Office servers.

We currently have 12 physical servers that we're going to move to two virtual servers. None of these servers have particularly high disk I/O's and we currently have around 1TB of used disk space between all of them.

Several systems integrators have tendered for the project with the two in the shortlist both offering HP solutions.

One is suggesting we move to a HP EVA 4400 the other is suggesting a MSA 2012fc.

The EVA 4400 is the more expensive option and I'm just wondering if there is any real benefit going with it.

The SAN's have both been specced with ample capacity for future growth, so is there anything the EVA provides over the MSA that is a real deal breaker?

Associate
If you can afford it, go with the EVA4400. We looked at putting in a EVA but with the price of the disks and the support pack for the disks, the cost was a bit prohibitive. Think we are going with the MSA solution, which is a pity.

We have a client who uses 5 EVA4400's for ensuring database availability, plus they are on split sites.

Associate
We just bought an Equallogic solution. Slightly more servers than you (~35) and more disk space, but the equallogic solution has some neat things built in. Snapshots, DR etc. You will find yourself paying extra for these features in the HP products.

Associate
I've implemented 2 ESX servers with iSCSI shared storage using IBM DS3300, throughput was quite reasonable considering the gigabit networking VS FC.

Worth a look, failing that I've implemented ESX with AMS 2100 storage arrays and ESX. Sadly not used the HP kit, tried to get an MSA2000 on demo last year but they weren't gonna ship in time for my project. Let us know how you get on.

Soldato
EVA 4400 is very good. Very easy to work with as well. If you can spare the cash the EVA is a much better choice and will be upgradable as well for the future.

M.

Back
Top Bottom