Opinions on new MacBook Air

Soldato
Hi All,

Just working out what my new MBA spec is likely to be, but cant decide on whether I need the CPU upgrade or not.

Looking at a 13", 256gb, 8gb ram through the apple edu store with the enhanced applecare up to 3 years and getting the new 3tb time capsule also.

Just curious as to what others think regarding whether there is any point in the cpu being i7 over i5. It will literally be used for web browsing, watching films on, and writing uni work, so I'm hard pushed to believe it is needed. It might do a bit of home video work, but nothing more intense than that.

We've managed 3 years from our current mid 2010 MBP before its at the point of being 'slow' and we'd ideally like to get this as a bare minimum from this upgrade as we have a baby due in December....

Happy to hear thoughts either way :)

Don
Weirdly, my MBA has started to connect to things. I'd forgotten just how lovely these things are to use since I sold my 2011 version about a year ago.

Better Touch Tool: Oh how I've missed you.

Soldato
Soldato
I'm going for the i5/8GB/256GB. Should be a nice all-round machine for my needs. If it's that good it'll probably become my main machine!

Soldato
Yeah, I think so too. It just takes all the fun of getting a new device out of it.
I can't get to town again until Saturday. Kind of annoying.

BTW, I bought it from a retailer that wasn't Apple. Shall I just take it back there or should I take it to the Apple store? I read somewhere that Apple were flagging up MBAs that had wifi issues.

Yep they are "capturing" them to figure out what's going on with the wifi issues. I'd book an appointment in the genius bar but take it back to where you bought it from. If the store refuses then you can go to the genius bar as a backup.

Don
Got my replacement yesterday. I just took it back and they handed over a new one no problem.

I'm home at the moment so haven't got a change to test it with any AP other than my own (with which it works fine).

Soldato
well macbook air setup and running battery life is amazing runs just like my imac so can't complain.

Airport extreme is hopefully arriving tommorow so will let you know how the AC speeds are

Soldato
Wish they'd done something with the screen on this, other manufacturers are managing to shoehorn better screens into their 13" thin/light products, why can't Apple?
Doesn't need to be "retina" just needs to be slightly better resolution.

Its currently half the res of the screen they manage to fit into their ipads, isn't it?
Seems very lacking.

Soldato
My UPS tracking says to expect it tomorrow.

The screen on the iPad with retina is 2048x1536 (264ppi), which is double the ppi of the 13.3 inch Air's screen. But, it is not lacking, and there is the rMBP for those who want that type of screen.

Caporegime
How capable are these with respect to gaming?

My 2012 MBA is great, but it's a 4GB ram and 128GB SSD which to be honest is running a little low on space, and considering moving to the 2013 version. Gaming performance could really force my hand.

(I appreciate it's never going to be a monster, but being able to play some games would be nice!)

Associate
How capable are these with respect to gaming?

My 2012 MBA is great, but it's a 4GB ram and 128GB SSD which to be honest is running a little low on space, and considering moving to the 2013 version. Gaming performance could really force my hand.

(I appreciate it's never going to be a monster, but being able to play some games would be nice!)

Have you tried COD4 on your air ?
I have and it runs well enough to entertain ...if only it was BF3 lols :D

Back
Top Bottom