Opinions on New TV and Soundbar.

Associate
So its been a while since I bought a new main room TV. In fact its been 14 years so technology has certainly moved on since then. I currently own a Pioneer 43" Plasma TV with a Pioneer surround sound system in which the speakers are wall mounted.

I`m looking to do away with these speakers etc to give me a more sleek look and remove the hassle of un-mounting the speakers and brackets etc prior to re decorating all the time. So I was looking towards buying a sound bar too.

Looking at possible this LG OLED https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/all-tvs/lg-oled65c8pla.html
with a descent sound bar but no idea which to choose. Again its been a while since buying a TV etc for the main room so I am open to suggestions. I mainly watch Netflix, movies, sport and the usual. I don`t have a DVD player although I would like to stream possibly to the TV or just insert a hard drive into a USB and play directly from there.

No real budget, but I don`t want to spend a ridiculous amount, suggestions ?.

Associate
It all depends on what you want from your soundbar. Do you want HDMI, Dolby Atmos, Surround Sound or do you want something good for music to. I have the Dali Kubic one Soundbar well they call it a soundbar cause it has 2 optical inputs and that's stereo only can be used for Music TV. and its great for films i have it with a Dali sub. It doesn't have HDMI or Dolby Atmos exc but its amazing and looks great in red

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/soundbars/dali-soundbar.html

Soldato
I`m looking to do away with these speakers etc to give me a more sleek look and remove the hassle of un-mounting the speakers and brackets etc prior to re decorating all the time. So I was looking towards buying a sound bar too.
Am going to have a look at the new sony AF9 and see if the built in sound is good enough to completely do away with my wall mounted speakers and AV amp

Soldato
There goes my plans :(

Have you heard what the new AF9 sounds like or do you own one ?

Worked in JL, and even the best soundbars on a TV just aren't as good as a system with a sub. The best sound I've personally heard is the DX802 from Panasonic, but it literally had a soundbar built in. Or perhaps the E6 OLED I think it was, which also did.

The acoustic surface of the Sony is pretty cool, as it creates sound from everywhere on the screen, but there's still no depth.

I'm not sure if Sony still offer the sub that connects wirelessly to their TVs - this was a pretty good compromise for the Sony TVs that had decent sound.

That might be worth looking into

Soldato
I'm not sure if Sony still offer the sub that connects wirelessly to their TVs - this was a pretty good compromise for the Sony TVs that had decent sound.

That might be worth looking into
I was thinking of using my KEF sub connected to it as I thought I saw somewhere say it had a subwoofer output connection on the back
But looking at the manual there no wired subwoofer output from what I can see.. :(

I have to look up and see if sony does do a wireless subwoofer that works with it..

Soldato
I was thinking of using my KEF sub connected to it as I thought I saw somewhere say it had a subwoofer output connection on the back
But looking at the manual there no wired subwoofer output from what I can see.. :(

I have to look up and see if sony does do a wireless subwoofer that works with it..

You should just be able to use the RCA output on the TV, and then use the crossover on the sub to filter out sound above a frequency of your choice

Caporegime
Yup I would wait until black friday, probably see them for around £1300/1400 and if you're lucky, maybe a retailer will **** up and have them go for £1099 or less ;) :cool:

Associate
OP
Well I couldn't hold out until black Friday as my old Plasma TV picture was becoming too bad and I noticed this every time I put the TV on. So I went out and bought a new Sony OLED TV. I haven't bought Sony for quite a while so Ill see how this one pans out.

2iseett.jpg

120kyo5.jpg

Forgive the Potato photos.
WPmDW9n

Soldato
I assume it's not a cabinet, so the tv is high up -
I know there have been discussions here before, about alternative, corner/arm placement, and I guess you are used to the position, but having to crane your kneck, is it not uncomfortable ?

sound bars on hold ?

Soldato
I did the same, packed away the floorstanders and replaced with the Samsung hk-n950 flagship soundbar, looks so much better my living room without big speakers, just waiting on black Friday to see if the LG C8 will drop a few hundred to compliment the soundbar :)

Associate
OP
I assume it's not a cabinet, so the tv is high up -
I know there have been discussions here before, about alternative, corner/arm placement, and I guess you are used to the position, but having to crane your kneck, is it not uncomfortable ?

sound bars on hold ?

I'm use to it and I spend a lot of time in the control room at work looking at the same size monitors at a height so its become second nature really. The soundbar, Im holding out for it for the time being, the sound quality aint too bad on the TV at the moment but I was glad to do away with the unsightly speakers I had previous as technology had since moved on etc.

Back
Top Bottom