• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Opteron 154 question.

Vir

Vir

Associate
Hi,

I can get a Opteron 154 for about 10 pounds. All pins are ok but the heathspreader on top is gone.
Now is my question, can I buy this and have it repaired somewhere for not much money? Cause they would make it worth it I guess? :)

Picture:
6KxHlpCH.jpg

4nw38Uw2.jpg

Regards,

Jaimy

Vir

Vir

Associate
OP
Oh, hahah well that looks ok :D Thanks for the reply man!

The guy also says one of the resistors is failing... how can he see that and what about the left vertical column, second from down, is that thing missing or is that just me?

You think I should give it a go?

Soldato
Vir said:
The guy also says one of the resistors is failing... how can he see that and what about the left vertical column, second from down, is that thing missing or is that just me?
Yup some ninny has sliced it off while attempting to remove the IHS! :rolleyes:

6kxhlpchhu6.jpg

Vir

Vir

Associate
OP
Yeah, probably. I'll just say no to it then :) Thought maybe if I'd get it repaired at AMD it will cost me less then a new one or something or maybe do it yourself with a little help from tweakers :D

Mul

Mul

Associate
Hmmm a tenner for what's potentially a dead opty.

If you could get it to work, it may not be a bad buy seeing that it's effectively an FX57 with a locked multi (I think?).

I believe someone brought their dead IHS'less cpu to life by popping conductive ink where the resistor once was? It was in the A64 IHS Removal thread somewhere.

Found it :)
dirtyginge said:
Believe it or not, you can ressurect some of these with damaged SMD resistors if you are lucky like me...

story goes, i had a 4200 dual core that i removed the IHS off, worked fine for ages...then decided i would sell it due to upgrade...the buyer asked if i could reattach the IHS, which i said i would do, using some small dabs of epoxy resin around the edges ( a million forum readers laugh )..anyway , ihs reattached, i tested, all fine apart from temperature which was a bit high...being a nice guy, i went to remove the IHS and try to reapply to get better temps...anyway i damaged 3 of the SMD resistors with a knife.....screamed for a while then cut the remainder of the damaged resistors off right down to the metal stumps and cleaned..tried to boot, nothing...tried to maybe join the dots with pencil shading ...nothing.....
Recently went about volt modding the 7900GT, got some cunductive paint, did the mod, fine all dandy, then saw the dead 4200 on the shelf ... I wonder if..me thinks , grabs fanatically.??????
did blobs covering all 8 dots on the three resistor areas and tried a boot....FULLY WORKING, primed for 24 Hours....now maybe i was just lucky, but hell, its got to be worth a shot no ????, rether than have a nice dead chiip worth Uber $$$

Mul

Last edited:

Vir

Vir

Associate
OP
Oooh that looks pretty good actually... well if I buy it and try that solution, can my motherboard be damaged or something, I guess not right? I might actually go and try this :)

Soldato
Surely the conductive paint won't keep it working for long until something burns out? The resistors must have been there for a reason...

Back
Top Bottom