• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Opteron code names...

Soldato
OP
You were more lucky than me then. What stepping?

I've solved the code name confusion really, its cpuz, all the screenshpts of opterons show them as toledo in cpuz.

Don
S939 Opterons are either San Diego or Toledo cores. Venus and Denmark would have been the S940 equivalents, but as far as I'm aware never made it to market as AMD decided to shift all their single processor workstation chips to S939.

The core is the physical design of the chip, speedbinning does not effect this.

Jokester

Soldato
OP
Jokester said:
S939 Opterons are either San Diego or Toledo cores. Venus and Denmark would have been the S940 equivalents, but as far as I'm aware never made it to market as AMD decided to shift all their single processor workstation chips to S939.

The core is the physical design of the chip, speedbinning does not effect this.

Jokester
Some of the retailers are listing their 939 opterons as Denmark cores, i wonder if they have decided to call toledo opterons denmark to differentiate them from toledo x2s? Or is it just the retailers getting it wrong?

Soldato
sr4470 said:
I guess its just cpu-z then, because it was reading my Opteron as a Venus core a while back...

like this
opteron1.JPG

They are the same as san-diego's just given a different code to differentiate them, tbh i am not 100% sure,

Soldato
sr4470 said:
They must be different if Opteron UPs have a cold bug but clock expectionally well on air.

i am not sure about cold bug, i thought that was due to a newer revision memory controller, iirc san diegos do cold bug?

i think opterons are just chosen from better silicon because they are designed to be cooked up in servers running 24/7.

(disclaimer: i could be wrong though because i dont really take much notice anymore)

Associate
San Diego is only a single core chip. Toledo and Denmark are identical afaik just that in the dual-core Opterons it's called a Denmark and in an Athlon X2 it's called a Toledo.

I did email OcUK a while ago to point out the dual core Opterons were incorrectly labelled as San Diego cores, but they haven't changed it yet.

Back
Top Bottom