Optimal cooling for a rather simple case?

Soldato
Hi.

I got this for a cheap HTPC build.

https://aerocool.io/product/bolt-mini-tempered-glass/

The front intake is not great, a small vented section on one side.

wjDPXKp.png

Could the top fan slots be used for intake or is that a no no?

With the front intake being next to useless, if I put a single 120mm at the top and an exhaust at the rear to keep neutral pressure, would that suffice or anything else worth trying?

Ryzen 3200G with no dedicated GPU and a single SSD.

Thank you.

Soldato
2 x high pressure fans in the front such as the Arctic P12

1 x case fan at the rear which is included

Personally on a cheap case to keep cost down I would leave the ceiling fans but if you really wanted one, 1 x fan at the rear of the ceiling set as exhaust and ensure the intakes run at higher speeds at idle and load than the exhausts

Don
2 x high pressure fans in the front such as the Arctic P12

1 x case fan at the rear which is included

Personally on a cheap case to keep cost down I would leave the ceiling fans but if you really wanted one, 1 x fan at the rear of the ceiling set as exhaust and ensure the intakes run at higher speeds at idle and load than the exhausts

+1 I'd try this - 2 at the front, 1 at the back first before trying anything else.

Also worth removing all the solid stamped PCI-E covers and either leaving them empty or replace with vented slot covers e.g.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £11.01 (includes shipping: £6.02)​

Soldato
What Relentless81 said.

2x good pressure rated front intakes with any openings in panel they mount to not covered by them blocked/taped off so air they push into case has to flow through case and out, not leak around and in front of fans going in circles.

Remove all PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area so more air can easily flow from front to back, so cooler air gets to coolers, so cooler temps, so fans run slower as well. keeping things quieter I would not use any PCIe back slot covers. The open slots will flow much more air then vented slot covers. Open link below an scrowl down to chart to see how even simple round wire grill only flows 71% as much as open hole.
https://www.silverstonetek.com/techtalk_cont.php?tid=wh_chessis&area=usa

You might find link below to basic guilde about how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow of interest:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Don
@doyll - it's a trade off with cheap cases, removing the "stamped" pci plates will likely remove some rigidity from the case as that area tends to be made of very thin metal, hence the suggestion of the vented slot covers.

More expensive cases obviously come with removal slot covers (and/or vented), but are usually made of better materials

Soldato
I doubt removng PCIe slot covers will redust rigidity enough to be noticable. I stand by my recommendation to simply remove them. It costs nothign to remove them, and if case is too flimsy with them removed , Gimpymoo can just put them back in and order vented ones.

Soldato
Or just remove every second one, the main thing is to allow the air from the lower fan a route to pass through the case ensuring a constant flow of cooler air rather than trapping it.

Soldato
OP
Thank you guys for the responses.

I have no problem with the case, it is a cheap case but that is fine, one can work around any imperfections :D The intake is better than I thought, not great, but better.

Can you get after market dust filter material to position in front of the fans at the front to limit dust intake.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can't put them back in - they are the stamped twist to remove type - cheap and nasty and even the process of removing them can bend/distort the pci-e slot bracket.
I'm betting even with all removed case rigidity will be just fine.

Thank you guys for the responses.

I have no problem with the case, it is a cheap case but that is fine, one can work around any imperfections :D The intake is better than I though, not great, but better.

Can you get after market dust filter material to position in front of the fans at the front to limit dust intake.
No problem.
I looked at it and was surprised that it does have decent front venting. Get a couple of good pressure rated fans for front intakes. Arctic P series are decent and lowest priced I know of. Key to low temps and nosie is good airflow, and key to good, smooth airflow is no obstructions. Good cable management makes a huge difference in getting smooth airflow. Ever see a snow fence or sand fence? All the laths in fence do is disrupt smooth airflow thus causing air to slow down and drop snow/sand on ground behind fence. Wires and cables in our cases do the same thing slowing down airflow.

Soldato
Forgot to post about dust filters. I have used cheap pot scratcher pads. They are knock-off of 3M ScotchBrite sanding pads used in every automotive paint shop I've been in, and lots cheaper too in local cheap shops / dollar shops. Can be cut with scissors, but I use stright edge and knife. Can replace blade in knife, can't in scissors. ;)

Back
Top Bottom