‘Optimised’ RAM

Associate
Does a brand ‘optimised’ RAM work in either intel or AMD?

Just bought some ram for an intel system from OCUK, but what arrived is AMD optimised ram. I checked the listing of what I purchased, and the only clue to it being an AMD optimised RAM is the word ‘expo’ in the listing, no other description : ‘AMD’, ‘optimised’ etc. and no product description. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...l-kit-black-cmh32gx5m2b5600z36-my-4dt-cs.html

Does an ‘optimised’ RAM work on either intel or AMD platform? Any issues? The internet appears to say this is all just marketing and technically there is no difference.

Thanks guys :)

Last edited:
Associate
I have Intel XMP Optimised DDR5 5600Mhz working flawlessly in a AMD 7950X system, not only that, but 128GB worth of it (in 4 x 32GB) which is even harder to drive properly and have it running at 4000Mhz.

So I would imagine that whether XMP or EXPO, it should work "as normal" anyway.

Associate
In general, RAM that is marketed as "AMD optimized" or "Intel optimized" is essentially the same RAM and should work fine on either platform. The optimization claims are often just marketing tactics to target a specific audience, but there are no technical differences between the two....
The RAM you have purchased, the Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-44800C18 5600MHz Dual Channel Kit, should work fine on both Intel and AMD platforms. The "expo" mentioned in the product description likely refers to Corsair's XMP 2.0 profile, which allows for easy overclocking of the RAM. This profile should be compatible with both Intel and AMD motherboards.
So, you should not experience any issues using the "AMD optimized" RAM on your Intel system.

Soldato
In general, RAM that is marketed as "AMD optimized" or "Intel optimized" is essentially the same RAM and should work fine on either platform. The optimization claims are often just marketing tactics to target a specific audience, but there are no technical differences between the two....
The RAM you have purchased, the Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-44800C18 5600MHz Dual Channel Kit, should work fine on both Intel and AMD platforms. The "expo" mentioned in the product description likely refers to Corsair's XMP 2.0 profile, which allows for easy overclocking of the RAM. This profile should be compatible with both Intel and AMD motherboards.
So, you should not experience any issues using the "AMD optimized" RAM on your Intel system.

Its not always as simple as that though, especially with AMD as in the post as not all RAM would hit their XMP speeds on AMD systems simply because the RAM would have only been rated or tested on Intel systems. EXPO is AMD's version of XMP which stands for Extended Profiles for Overclocking. This was done so AMD users could buy RAM knowing that it would definately hit the rated speeds in the system.

As you on Intel I suspect the RAM will work fine and probably allow you to select XMP in bios. Just stick it in your system and see :)

Back
Top Bottom