Opty 144 overclocking

Associate
Hi,

I am new to overclocking, but have made use of the great info on this board and the DFI board and come up against a brick wall. :confused:

I have found the max of my opteron 144, it has passed prime95 for 8 hours at 2734mhz

I am using the Dfi nf4 sli-d Board and some dual channel 2* 512mb g.skill 3200 zx.

Now, I thought maybe that I am going to have to use a divider with this memory, and I presumed, but am probs wrong that I could slap a 133 divider on the memory and it would work.

When I try and do this 133 divider, the system won't load windows.

I have cpu voltage set to 1.5

I am really stuck me thinks.

Cpu overclocks nicely for me but as soon as i enter the ram into the equation things go down hill.

:confused:

Soldato
Try a low LDT multiplier of 2x.

Up the Chipset and LDT voltage to max.

What are your memory timings? (As in ALL of them, not just the first 4 settings).

What's your RAM voltage?

Try a different multi, like 120 and 140.

Associate
OP
Ok, I left the memory timings as default, will have a check now and get them posted up.

Thanks very much, I am in the dark on this im afraid and any help is much appreciated.

Lee

Associate
OP
Ok, have tried upping the chipset voltage and LDT voltage to max, this doesn't seem to improve things unfortunately.

Seems I can only use the lowest divider (1/02) or crank down the HTT/FSB Considerably.

here are my bios settings: (phew :eek: )
CPUz shows my bios as:
version 6.00 PG
Date 06/23/2005

DRAM Configuration

DRAM Frequency Set (Mhz): 100 (DRAM/FSB:1/02)
Command Per Clock (CPC): Auto
CAS Latency Control (Tcl): Auto
RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd): Auto
Min RAS# active delay (Trcd): Auto
Row precharge time (Trp): Auto
Row cycle time (Trc): 07 Bus Clocks
Row refresh cyc time (TrFc): Auto
Row to Row delay (Trrd): 02 Bus Clocks
Write recovery time (Twr): 02 Bus Clocks
Write to Read delay (Twtr): 02 Bus Clocks
Read to Write delay (Trwt): 03 Bus Clocks
Refresh period (Tref): 3120 Cycles
Write CAS Latency (Twcl): Auto
DRAM Bank Interleave: Enabled

DQS Skew Control: Auto
DQS Skew Value: 0
DRAM Drive Strength: Auto
DRAM Data Drive Strength: Auto
Max Async Latency: Auto
DRAM Response Time: Normal
Read Preamble Time: Auto
IdleCycle Limit: 256 Cycles
Dynamic Counter: Disable
R/W Queue Bypass: 16 X
Bypass Max: 07 X
32 Byte Granularity: Disabled

Genie Bios Settings

FSB Bus Frequency: 304
LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio: X 3.0
LDT Bus Transfer Width: 16/16
CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio: X 9.0
PCI eXpress Frequemcy: 101Mhz
CPU VID Startup Value: 1.500v

CPU VID Control: 1.500v
CPU VID Special Control: Auto
LDT Voltage Control: 1.20 V
Chip Set Voltage Control: 1.50v
DRAM Voltage Control: 2.60v

Last edited:
Soldato
monkeynuts said:
Genie Bios Settings

FSB Bus Frequency: 304
LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio: X 3.0
LDT Bus Transfer Width: 16/16
CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio: X 9.0
PCI eXpress Frequemcy: 101Mhz
CPU VID Startup Value: 1.500v

CPU VID Control: 1.500v
CPU VID Special Control: Auto
LDT Voltage Control: 1.20 V
Chip Set Voltage Control: 1.50v
DRAM Voltage Control: 2.60v

OK, Try changing LDT Multi to 2x
Whack the LDT and Chipset voltage to max anyway.
Put the DRAM Voltage to 2.8 or 2.9.

I always tend to increase the voltages because then it's one less thing to worry about.

Last edited:
Soldato
monkeynuts said:
DRAM Configuration

DRAM Frequency Set (Mhz): 100 (DRAM/FSB:1/02)
Command Per Clock (CPC): Auto
CAS Latency Control (Tcl): Auto
RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd): Auto
Min RAS# active delay (Trcd): Auto
Row precharge time (Trp): Auto
Row cycle time (Trc): 07 Bus Clocks
Row refresh cyc time (TrFc): Auto
Read to Write delay (Trwt): 03 Bus Clocks
Refresh period (Tref): 3120 Cycles
Write CAS Latency (Twcl): Auto

DQS Skew Control: Auto
DQS Skew Value: 0
DRAM Drive Strength: Auto
DRAM Data Drive Strength: Auto
Max Async Latency: Auto
DRAM Response Time: Normal
Read Preamble Time: Auto
IdleCycle Limit: 256 Cycles
Dynamic Counter: Disable
R/W Queue Bypass: 16 X
Bypass Max: 07 X
32 Byte Granularity: Disabled

I'll check my settings - your Trc and TrFc look very low to me. BRB

OK, the lower settings (DQS etc) look fine and, in my experience, have little effect on overclocking unless you are trying to squeeze the last point out of 3DMark (which I do, see sig, but not using these options since it takes too long).

You might find using an LDT multi of 2x allows you to use a higher divider than 100, which seems too harsh to me. I suspect it's more your RAM voltage and timings causing this though. Don't be afraid of using a low divider though, as long as the CPU is as high as you can get it, the RAM really doesn't matter.

Here are my settings, but I'm using different RAM (Twinmos BH5) and crazy voltage (3.4v):

DRAM Frequency Set (Mhz): 133
Command Per Clock (CPC): Enabled
CAS Latency Control (Tcl): 2
RAS# to CAS# delay (Tras): 6
Min RAS# active delay (Trcd): 2
Row precharge time (Trp): 2
Row cycle time (Trc): 15
Row refresh cyc time (TrFc): 17
Read to Write delay (Trwt): 02 Bus Clocks
Refresh period (Tref): 1816 Cycles
Write CAS Latency (Twcl): 1

I've bolded the settings I think could help you. I wouldn't recommend using my settings of 2-6-2-2 because I don't think your RAM will do that, at least not at the speeds you're running. Try 3-8-3-3 (CAS 3, Tras 8, Trp 3 and Trcd 3). Leave CPC disaabled for the moment too.

Let me know how you get on.

Last edited:
Associate
Up the Chipset and LDT voltage to max.

Hope you can afford a new board!

Upping the voltage on these won't make any difference.

2xLDT Multi is completely unnecessary when Auto will do on this board. (If you want to do it manually... 4xLDT when HTT less than 250, 3x when HTT more than 250.

A 5/6 divider will have your RAM @ 248Mhz which is very do-able without a huge vdimm bump. 2.8v to 3.0v will be ok. Do this the proper way. To find out what your limit is take the CPU out of the equation by dropping the CPU Multi down to 6. Set the RAM Divider to 1:1 and slowly up the HTT from 200, testing for stability as you do. Eventually you'll hit a wall. If you've already raised your vdimm it's time to relax your timings. The important ones being CAS Latency, Ras To Cas (Trcd), Row Precharge (Trp), Min Ras Active Time (Tras). Try 3,3,3,8 and see how far you can go now. You can probably hit your target 248 with these timings and 3.0v. If not post back.

If you find the RAM stable at that speed you are good to go. Bring the CPU multi back up, stick the 5/6 Divider on and test for stability again.

Have you flashed the BIOS to the latest release or are you using the shipping BIOS? Problems like Dividers not working can be solved easily with an update. Make sure you are familiar with the procedure before doing it. Any questions post here.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dirk said:
Hope you can afford a new board!

Wimp ;)

Dirk said:
2xLDT Multi is completely unnecessary when Auto will do on this board. (If you want to do it manually... 4xLDT when HTT less than 250, 3x when HTT more than 250.

I found 2x LDT enabled me to clock higher. HT Link speed makes about zero difference once it's higher than 200 Mhz anyway (ie 1x LDT multi, 200 Mhz HTT).

The problem with clocking AMD64's is the onboard memory controller often gives up before the rest of the CPU, making you think it's the memory at fault, when it fact it's the CPU.

I've had 3 or 4 Venices and a Opteron, all cheap ones (9x multi) and a variety of memory (BH5, G.Skill TCCD) and have found the following true in all cases:

CPU Speed matters above ALL else.
Memory timings have a small impact.
Memory speed has VERY little impact.
HT Link speed has about ZERO impact, and using a low LDT multi helps stabilise things.

Associate
Memory timings have a small impact.
Memory speed has VERY little impact.

Unless you are Encoding/Benchmarking or using any other memory intensive Apps where you could shave minutes off the job.

Since when was overclocking just about CPU speed? I'm off to tell Kinc and the boys that they've been doing it wrong all these years :D

And all those o/c guides need updating. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Argh! The rolleyes! Anything but the rolleyes!

:D

There's no need for sarcastic answers either.

I can't be bothered arguing about it, I'll just note my specs and yours and assume we are approaching things from different angles. I'll also assume you do a lot of encoding. I only use my rig for gaming and to try to get the highest 3DMark I can out of it.

Associate
OP
Ok People,

I have set some of the values in the memory timings going by what is advertised on the OCUK site for the RAM I have.

As I am running on a divider and the rating for my memory is the following:

- CAS Latency : 2-3-3-6 (PC3200)

I have used these values where applicable instead of setting things to auto.

This has improved things a lot.

I have also disabled CPC.

I have dropped the HTT down to 300 from 304

NOW!

Its working, and passed superPI, and OCCT with the new settings

BUT, there is always a but, It that when I make some changes in the bios sometimes it won't boot, even with values I know worked 5 minutes ago. However if I shutdown totally, and power off for a few minutes then it is ok again.

I think I will try the settings as jimbo stated and see how things progress.

Will keep you updated, thanks a lot, your help is saving me hours of pain!

Will keep you updated as I progress.

:)

Associate
The timing values on the site are the 'SPD' timings. They are preset timings and with your settings on Auto are detected and used by your board. These timings are not set in stone. They are what you will adjust to enable your RAM to run faster than it's default speed.

CAS Latency, Ras To Cas (Trcd), Row Precharge (Trp), Min Ras Active Time (Tras) are the values quoted and used most frequently i.e 2,2,2,5 in that order. The first of these numbers is the CAS latency and will have the biggest effect on stability/performance. The last number (Tras) will have the least effect of the four. Usually adjusting these four values is all you will need to do whereas all the other timings can, for your purposes, be left on Auto.

BUT, there is always a but, It that when I make some changes in the bios sometimes it won't boot, even with values I know worked 5 minutes ago. However if I shutdown totally, and power off for a few minutes then it is ok again.

Have you been monitoring temperatures? If so what are they?

Have you dropped the LDT and NF4 voltages back to default? Nobody in their right minds would set them to maximum without some serious cooling.

Did you update your BIOS? It is the first thing to look at if you are getting quirky behaviour, especially if you are still using the shipping BIOS. Board makers bring out updated BIOS versions for a reason.

What Slots are you using the RAM in and have you tried swapping?

If you still get unexplained behaviour after a BIOS update you should run memtest to rule out any faults with your RAM.

This is the usual way of things. The first thing to look at here is your BIOS. DFI provide a simple method of updating this:

1. Prepare one piece of clean floppy diskette.
2. Run the BIOS file from website directly or copy it to HDD to run.
3. It will image to floppy disk drive "A" including flash utility, BIOS file along with instruction and create booting program automatically.
4. Boot up the system from FDD. It will automatically flash the BIOS.
5. Press "F1" as instructed when completing the flashing.
6. Run "Load Optimized Defaults" or "Load Setup Defaults" in BIOS after completing the BIOS flashing.

The latest version is 623-3.

A well respected overclocking guide....http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

Associate
OP
I did try upping the chipset and ldt voltage, but it didn't work, so these are at stock now.

The temps seem ok, cpu idle around 35, under load can reach upto 45-50 i.e when running occt or prime. I think these will go down a bit when I get a good exhaust fan and tidy my case up a bit. These temps are when I ham at 300 HTT.

Nf4 and pwmic seem to be around 48-52, never going any higher than this.

RAM is in the Orange slots currently, I will try swapping sometime today.

Not sure what bios i have, never changed it, the date in cpuz claims:
version 6.00 PG
Date 06/23/2005

I have used winflash to backup my current bios to a file and compared the checksum with some of the latest and it is different, so I will update the bios next and try a fews things.

As it stands, when I can boot correctly, it runs stable, passes superPi, Occt, and all 3dmark, and also 10hrs Prime95, so I think i am nearly there.

Will try the few things above and get back on here with some results, good ones hopefully.

I will be updating the bios from cd rom so i hope thats ok.

:)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok,

I have settled with a 290 HTT, running at 2611mhz. I said at the very beginning that i would be happy with 2.6, so I guess I am happy with the outcome.

All voltages are at stock. Divider on 140, LDT Multi *3.

Here is how I have my memory settings, used a64tweaker so you can see all values.

kao75y.jpg

I think these are ok, Please tell me if I have something set to a silly number.

Thanks for all your support on getting this up and running, maybe I will try a little harder when I get better colloing and maybe better ram.

Back
Top Bottom