Orange Bikes intends to appoint an administrator

Soldato
Contemplated one but they were just too expensive at the time and end up with a Bird AM9 for cheaper and a higher spec.

Suspect there will be many more that go, can't see the smaller players being able to compete with the ridiculous discounts on bikes currently.

Soldato
Taiwan got expensive hydroforming tube bending machines in the later 2000's and it made the orange fabrication look a bit old fashioned, I also suspect their reluctance to move away from single pivot while everyone else perfecting linkage designs didn't help, it puts all of the quality in the system into the shock which needs to be perfectly setup to work nice (and expensive shock needed)

they were the best in early 2000's but by time I could afford one they were expensive and not as good as other things so just not worth it
feel bad for them though - whole bike industry in the loo right now

Soldato
My first 'proper' mtb was an Orange Patriot in 1999. Loved that bike. Whilst I've not owned another Orange since I've always had a soft spot for then. The industry moved on but Orange stayed true to their roots of single pivot monocoque aluminium frames but has probably led to their downfall. The 25 year old Patriot that I used to own doesn't look that much different from their current offerings.

fez

fez

Caporegime
My first 'proper' mtb was an Orange Patriot in 1999. Loved that bike. Whilst I've not owned another Orange since I've always had a soft spot for then. The industry moved on but Orange stayed true to their roots of single pivot monocoque aluminium frames but has probably led to their downfall. The 25 year old Patriot that I used to own doesn't look that much different from their current offerings.

Yeah, it was 100% behind their downfall. They looked old school which might appeal to some but there were much better riding bikes out there that looked sleek and modern for the same price as Orange bikes unfortunately. Never likely to end well.

Caporegime
feel bad for them though - whole bike industry in the loo right now
The big brands are running 40% profit margins but have ridiculous marketing budgets, sponsoring a team can cost 2-10 million.

One of the youtube cycling channels were talking about it a few weeks ago in response to some video GCN did trying to defend bicycle stuff having ridiculous prices.

Soldato

One of my very first proper MTBs too. It was a wreck when I bought it - IIRC (Going back 20 years now) I took it into Orange and they did a full respray and sticker job on it. Came back an immaculate matte black. Really sad news, but also not surprising if they never moved on from that design.

Soldato
Indeed good news,

I have a Clockwork in the shed which i've hardly used since i bought it (because i'm fat, lazy and unfit).
I also still have my P7 from the 90s which I was planning to restore at some point.

Back
Top Bottom