Order Management System advice

Soldato
Looking to get an order management system at work as admin are finally seeing how backwards and archaic Quickbooks desktop is trying to work from home during lockdown. I tried to push for a system last year before there was even a hint of this but the ideas were shot down due to cost and "it's not needed, we're fine". Well now we're not.

Warehousing used to be outsourced but due to the lockdown we had to relocate the warehouse at no notice. Fortunately I'd already got a RM account with Click and Drop set up after testing it with a new Amazon and eBay account otherwise they would have been handwriting addresses and queuing at the post office. They all sync great and I can get 6x as many orders done due to not having to manually enter in the data multiple times as I can with the general sales from admin. Now we have full control of orders in to orders out I want a system which basically does everything as sometimes an address can be entered in three times for the same order at various stages.

Hoping to migrate Quickbooks Desktop to Online, but there's 12 years of data and Online doesn't have all the same tools as desktop so worried about data loss (can keep a backup), need to sync Amazon, eBay, 2x Magento stores and manual order entry from phone/email.

Previously I've used Linnworks but the layout isn't very user friendly (looks worse than Quickbooks desktop) and cannot customise to allow only the features we need, also the addition of Quickbooks sync requires more external software which costs extra and isn't bi-directional. I've also had a quote from Orderwise which on paper their system looks great, but their pricing structure leaves a lot to be desired with a massive fee up front (1 year's billing!) to "onboard" which we have to do all the work for anyway and any changes to the system due to sync changes adds an extra monthly fee and set up cost which is just over the top for the size of company we are. It would be cheaper to hire someone to do the admin manually. My other suggestion was to use Zapier and run a dummy Magento store as a central sync location with a few modifications then push data in/out of the dummy store to whichever bits of software need syncing.

Linnworks is the only one I've managed to build a demo system on without having to pay out for features, all the others are able to provide a software demo of a showroom store but quite often these are missing some of the tools we might rely on or the pricing doesn't reflect the flexibility needed for a growing company. Trying to get a feeler out with what other software I should be looking at or any experience.

Associate
Did you ever sort a solution out? I highly recommend https://www.knack.com/ as a build your own solution, i found off the peg ones not suitable. I built a system that saved my sanity and has 25 users now. It runs all our order processing (from Sage50 and Magento) and service contract renewals. There are APIs using Knack & Integromat for automation.

Soldato
OP
That looks interesting and would plug the hole I was looking at using a dummy Magento store as a database backend and Zapier for the rest, it would form the Zapier database.

I've had a month of arguing with the purse strings including lots of diagrams showing how important it is to get this moving now and I've had quite a few discussions with another OMS called Veeqo which I'm heavily leaning towards due to the way it reduces the error rate with the pick/pack process, can still push/pull data using Zapier and it is cheaper than the others I've been looking at, but not perfect. Veeqo is still missing some key functions we really need including lot/expiry control but then our quickbooks version couldn't handle that either, but they are constantly working on it so hopefully will see that feature in a few years.

Looks like Knack with Zapier would help plug the CMS system we're missing from Veeqo.

Soldato
OP
We're too small for CA, also it looks like it pushes itself as a marketing platform with additional stock control rather than a fulfilment management and administration system. Looking at the reviews the UI is miles behind everything else I've looked at and probably going to cost twice the price of the competition, with regular pushy sales calls begging for an upgrade.

Too late with Magento, been using it for 4 years and I doubt I'll be given time to play with another platform when so much more needs doing. Not a fan that Adobe has it as their software has just got bloatier and Magento was lardy in v2 already.

Soldato
We're too small for CA, also it looks like it pushes itself as a marketing platform with additional stock control rather than a fulfilment management and administration system. Looking at the reviews the UI is miles behind everything else I've looked at and probably going to cost twice the price of the competition, with regular pushy sales calls begging for an upgrade.

Too late with Magento, been using it for 4 years and I doubt I'll be given time to play with another platform when so much more needs doing. Not a fan that Adobe has it as their software has just got bloatier and Magento was lardy in v2 already.

Used CA for over 7 years in my last place, obviously we were small when starting out but ended up being a multimillion company which we never have done without CA. They had their annoyances but when we spoke to them they always ended up changing their system to how it should work as we told them rather than how they thought it should work. Only thing missing from CA for us was a CRM platform which we used seperate. Never used it for advertising only stock management across several warehouses.

Magento was truly horrid, we looked at it for 2 projects ended up getting half way through one and it was crap. Shockingly the other project we ended up using Shopify attached to CA.

Only toyed with Linnworks but they have just had a massive price increase and they are losing customers left right and centre.

Is your field e-commerce or something else?

Soldato
OP
I don't really have a field, without going too much into detail I started off creating email marketing for one company while I was free one summer, got passed on to another to work on their printed leaflets, started working on an ecommerce site back when Magento was around v1.3 and worked for all those companies as and where needed. Eventually left that group to work for another IT firm combining everything in house but wasted years there not making progress. Felt like they'd got a better deal than I did. Moved on again doing the same thing for a medical company looking to transform but they got hit hard with NHS cutbacks and I stayed with an aim of turning things around. Everything was outsourced from their literature production, website design and maintenance, warehousing and distribution, even the sales team. With the cutbacks they tripled the product availability taking on new products and started targeting direct to consumer but their whole admin side is geared towards supplying NHS and not direct to consumer.

Now due to lockdown we've had to take on the full distribution too. Managers are trying to push for more staff but in admin roles to manage the increase in B2C sales we've managed to achieve so far, I don't see the point in hiring more people to push paperwork around when it can be automated and you then have it in the budget to hire more people in marketing/social media and grow it further.

Magento works fine for our needs, but I have very little experience modifying the system as I'm only used to skinning layouts. Our current store was built in just over a week with 300 items when our outsourced website supplier accidentally updated their server taking the old shop down and it's been running for the last 30 months generating sales, but really need to get a new site up to replace it as it was rushed. Not had the time though due to the new products and restructuring.

To be honest the stubbornness I'm facing with the willingness to change I have considered moving on, but I'd probably have to take a paycut, I'd lose the convenience of location and I'm so behind with how things have moved on I'd probably be better re-training to do something else with the amount of catching up I'd have to do. I'd love to be able to work full time on creative projects but stuck full time covering for admin during lockdown.

I'll explore CA a bit further but cost vs features seems to be the driving factor with who we go with, it could be the perfect system but if it costs too much I can't get it.

Soldato
At least being in work you can take your time and look for alternatives and not jump into anything without any thought. So you wouldn't necessarily have to take a pay cut. After being bought out we were all made redundant and I ended up looking in a different field of work.

You must have had a better website supplier than us haha, that site ended up having to have lots of paid for add ons to get it to do what we needed. Many an argument, think at one point I'd suggested WordPress would have been a better option.

If there had been no Covid I would have suggested going to one of the ecom expos all the software providers are usually there and you can get an idea of what's best then. I had a look last night band lots of the ones I know about from years ago now charge a fortune.

Soldato
OP
Oh there's lots our site could do better where we're feeling a bit restricted but other off the shelf platforms also have the same limitations, we've seen other Magento stores able to do some of the parts we're missing and I've found some free modules which will cover others but it's getting the time to develop and test. Other needs we've managed to manipulate existing features to handle it so far. We don't have a website agency, I handle it all in between picking up the slack from order processing and dealing with customers which is why I'm crying out for an order management system to take that responsibility off me and also release time for the other admins.

Back
Top Bottom