Ordering fulfilled by amazon but end up not?

Associate
Ordered an oculus off amazon, in stock fulfilled by amazon great. Go to basket, order and boom then says sold by a private seller. Double-check the order page and it's the correct page and item.

I only thought it used private sellers if you selected it? If the item is as ordered fine but I'd rather order through amazon fulfilment service as it's quick to get money back if there is an issue. Rather than be stuck with an unknown delivered by signed for which is only insured for £50.

Maybe it's just me but if it says "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon." it should be dispatched and sold by amazon.

Soldato
Agree, it's the only stuff I'll order because if I wanted to order from someone else I'd buy from someone else. I've also seen stories of people receiving 2nd hand things instead of new which is quite worrying, is Amazon starting to turn into a eBayish kind of thing.

I moved from Play.com when it went to Rakuten and started as a platform for other sellers, I guess it was because the Government closed the Jersey supply loophole.

Man of Honour
They seem to have some kind of seamless stock shifting if they can't fulfil it themselves but it seems to have some kind of hidden standing basis so you won't get it fulfilled by just anyone. You also effectively get additional protection as the buyer in this circumstance in that Amazon will simply lay it on the seller if anything goes wrong.

It was a bit unnerving for me when buying some SD cards when it happened but they checked out as legit when tested.

Associate
OP
They seem to have some kind of seamless stock shifting if they can't fulfil it themselves but it seems to have some kind of hidden standing basis so you won't get it fulfilled by just anyone. You also effectively get additional protection as the buyer in this circumstance in that Amazon will simply lay it on the seller if anything goes wrong.

Ah that would make sense why the "company" is apparently based in Japan and dispatching from a local romford postoffice lol.

Usually it picks the cheapest, it's probably a third party that will be delivered by Amazon as it uses their fulfilment centres

Definitely been dispatched in person at a post office. Makes me wonder if it's an at-home job.

Man of Honour
Usually it picks the cheapest, it's probably a third party that will be delivered by Amazon as it uses their fulfilment centres

Where I've had it happen Amazon have actually collected it from the 3rd party themselves and delivered via Amazon Logistics except in one case where it came direct from the 3rd party seller.

as it's quick to get money back if there is an issue

Don't quote me on it but I'm pretty sure when this happens due to Amazon's choosing Amazon will refund you, etc. themselves and you won't be involved with the 3rd party.

Caporegime
Agree, it's the only stuff I'll order because if I wanted to order from someone else I'd buy from someone else. I've also seen stories of people receiving 2nd hand things instead of new which is quite worrying, is Amazon starting to turn into a eBayish kind of thing.

I moved from Play.com when it went to Rakuten and started as a platform for other sellers, I guess it was because the Government closed the Jersey supply loophole.
From what I've read they mix all the stock from all the sellers together.

Which is why they've had increasing amounts of fakes entering the system, and you can end up with fakes even when Amazon is listed as the seller.

Also you have much-reduced consumer rights when buying from an Amazon marketplace seller, so I always double check and never use marketplace seller for anything but super cheap items.

Soldato
I fell for this trick.

I was ordering another dect phone. I thought it was coming directly from Amazon and only realised it was coming from a third party seller when an invoice email came through.

Man of Honour
Also you have much-reduced consumer rights when buying from an Amazon marketplace seller, so I always double check and never use marketplace seller for anything but super cheap items.

Not sure, again don't quote me on it, this is the case when Amazon choose to fulfil your order using a 3rd party rather than you selecting it.

Soldato
Ran into an issue last week. Next day delivery but with a caveat that it may be a day or two late due to Royal Mail. Checked order and it said 'ordered Tuesday, delivery Wednesday', all well and good then. Silly me, it actually meant the next Wednesday which I found out when I queried the lateness of the order. I was also told the 'next day delivery' actually means next day after dispatch, meaning that as item had not been dispatched yet the 'next day delivery' promise still stood. :eek:

Now I find they have broken that promise as the item has been dispatched but delivery isn't expected until this coming Saturday.

Associate
OP
So which was it?

"Sold by XXXX and Fulfilled by Amazon" and "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon" are 2 different things?

I copied and pasted it from the order page. So it's dispatched from and sold by Amazon, which it clearly wasn't :/

Ran into an issue last week. Next day delivery but with a caveat that it may be a day or two late due to Royal Mail. Checked order and it said 'ordered Tuesday, delivery Wednesday', all well and good then. Silly me, it actually meant the next Wednesday which I found out when I queried the lateness of the order. I was also told the 'next day delivery' actually means next day after dispatch, meaning that as the item had not been dispatched yet the 'next day delivery' promise still stood. :eek:
Now I find they have broken that promise as the item has been dispatched but delivery isn't expected until this coming Saturday.

I really don't think there are any standards anymore. I've had to order a couple of bits yesterday from amazon and they've already arrived whilst I have literally no idea when my order is going to arrive because they used the cheapest delivery option.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fulfilled by amazon is as good as sold by amazon.

Now another confusing thing is where prime is shown and the product is neither sold or Fulfilled by amazon. All 3rd party... Yet prime delivery.

Never had an issue with fulfilled amazon items.

Caporegime
It was a bit unnerving for me when buying some SD cards when it happened but they checked out as legit when tested.
amazon has big issues with fake items but I think that was even their own fulfilled items so guess it doesn't matter...

Back
Top Bottom