Ordering Internet for a new build property?

Caporegime
So... everyone I've spoken to just direct me back to BT saying I have to contact them first and get the line activated and take out my packaging with them. That doesn't sound right to me? I'm hoping not as BT customer service is awful.

They're just being lazy. BT have as much influence as any other provider over Openreach - this is quite clearly defined in law. You need a new line installing, you can't buy it direct from Openreach.

Soldato
This could be an alternative for now until Openreach fully registers your area and knows what's avaliable, assuming they actually already have the infrastructure in place: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-home-router-200gb-plan-mobile-broadband.html

I'm guessing the developers won't be able to help you?
I would seriously consider something like this as I get a great 4G signal where I am. The thing that makes them unsuitable are the data allowances. A combination of Netflix, Deezer, YoutTube and downloading games means my family probably use up to 200Gb a month.

Soldato
OP
Cheers for advice, in the end thought stuff it and contacted BT back, have paid the £65 installation fee and they'll be sending a surveyor out this week to check the line etc. Fingers crossed!

Defo going to look into a Mobile Wifi setup to tie me over.

Soldato
If they come back and everything was in place to begin with then I'd consider using your position as a new customer and paying that £65 to get a really good broadband deal from them. That's if you want to go BT..

Associate
I live in a new build, took about 4 months for them to finally connect my house to the cab (FTTP)

I used a 4g dongle in to my Asus router.

Associate
If your address shows up as valid according to Royal Mail then that's a good first step. You can't order a service on it yet because there's no Openreach connection at that address, and most of the checkers will only let you place an order to a 'gold' address - one that Openreach have a record of and a mapping of address to line circuit number.

You need to order a phone line and wait for that to be installed, and then the checker will start to show more normal results. Aquiss will do you a phone line with a one-month rental if you wanted to get something in place and then bounce out to another provider for the line and broadband.

If the house is going to be connected to FTTP then any phone line order will go through but get cancelled, tried this myself.

Soldato
OP
What a nightmare this all is.

Placed the order 3 weeks ago now (nearly) so far I've had 3 failed attempts for their engineer to come out, every time it fails they call me and state it'll be tried again the following week :/

I'm in the property now and at the minute waiting or an update on the 20th (next date they are going to try). Activation was supposed to be the 25th and I doubt that's likely now..

Stuck what to do as BT (as we all know) have appalling customer service but yet no other provider is willing to help!

Joys of a new build!

Soldato
Placed the order 3 weeks ago now (nearly) so far I've had 3 failed attempts for their engineer to come out, every time it fails they call me and state it'll be tried again the following week :/
Have they given any reasons for the failed attempts?

Soldato
OP
Have they given any reasons for the failed attempts?

Keep telling me it's their order system fault... dunno whether to believe that or not. I've spoken to site manager at our house and all the cables are installed he even shown me where they literally need to connect 2 cables together.

Soldato
4g or similar is often the only option until openreach catch up. Best to be prepared but check what the signal is like at the new house first, it can vary wildly between providers. Where we are BT mobile has a good signal but Vodafone has a very poor signal.

Soldato
4g or similar is often the only option until openreach catch up. Best to be prepared but check what the signal is like at the new house first, it can vary wildly between providers. Where we are BT mobile has a good signal but Vodafone has a very poor signal.

4g for home broadband isn't a viable solution sadly in this country as the providers charge a fortune for minuscule amounts of data. Looking at the last 30 days on my router, my family have downloaded 362GB. I'm never going to get a 4G package for a reasonable monthly price to cover this.

Caporegime
If this is a must-solve situation then I would strongly recommend cancelling the BT order and placing one with a provider such as Andrews & Arnold who will actually hassle Openreach for you, rather than giving you "computer says no". Yes it costs more, it's up to you if you feel it's worth it.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I've got a 40g Go Binge Three Mobile Data sim that's keeping things ticking over but it's really hindering me doing anything like I normally would, I'd normally eat 40gb for breakfast!!

Due a call to more from BT with an update...

Soldato
OP
So they called again (BT), failed again as the engineer has said the address doesn't exist even though on the phone BT themselves checked again today on Royal Mail etc and it shows as live on their system. Apparently being handed to a case manager who's going to call me in 24 to 72 hours...

Soldato
OP
Cancelled with BT, had the same call again that the order failed and it was pushed back to 15th Oct for TV and phone line/internet.

Switched to Sky, ordered last Weds and TV installed today with phone line and internet on the 9th, Sky even managed to find my property and also run a Speedtest! Fingers crossed.

Permabanned
I would seriously consider something like this as I get a great 4G signal where I am. The thing that makes them unsuitable are the data allowances. A combination of Netflix, Deezer, YoutTube and downloading games means my family probably use up to 200Gb a month.

Deezer and Netflix use zero data on new 3 plans.

Back
Top Bottom