Original/OEM Windscreen on Insurance.

Soldato
Hi guys,

As above. I've got a nice 50 pence-piece sized crack in my windscreen after passing a "mud spreading" tractor in the New Forest at the weekend, and it appears to be getting bigger! I think I'm passed the supermarket repair fix stage :o

My insurance covers replacement/repairs (with paid excess) but is there any shortcut to ensuring that I get a fitter that fits a genuine/original/OEM replacement? - about two years ago, a colleague had a screen fitted in the carpark whilst at work. It turned out to be non-gen, a bad fit, it leaked and the rain sensors no longer worked... worst case scenario I know but it took him months to get sorted and I think he ended up have to take the fitter/insurer to court - a case which he eventually won, but I don't recall the specifics. It was long winded anyway and I don't want a repeat of that!

Thoughts?

Soldato
OP
Hi guys,

Still haven't gotten round to sorting this yet - haven't used the car much since posting to be fair, with Christmas, leave and Covid isolation etc., but the good news in the crack hasn't got any bigger :D

I know it's going to be Autoglass with my insurer and I know the excess is £115, which is fine - I appear to have an unlimited top end with my policy, which is a bonus. With that in mind, I think going to try and tap up my fitter and see if I can have a genuine/OEM screen and maybe even get them to replace the surrounding trim/scuttle, if that isn't included anyway?

I'm going to go and see them tomorrow...

Back
Top Bottom