OS Help

Associate
Hi guys

Recently I reused the hard from a old computer for my new build which has windows xp 32bit OEM. When I booted the new computer the hard drive did not access windows. I did a bit of research online and tried to install a new copy of windows vista 32bit OEM on it. I have a copy of XP too but I don't have a product key to activate it.

On my first try it copied the windows files, expanded files and Installed features but after this a messedge came up saying: Windows installation encountered an unexpected error. Verify that the installation sources are accessible and restart the installation. Error code: 0Xc0000005

So I tried again and the same thing happened except a window came up saying the installation was cancelled. Any changes that were made to your computer during the installation process will not be saved. Windows could not set the offline local information. Error code 0x80000001.

I tried again for the finale time and the same happened except the blue screen of death came up.

I restarted the computer and it says Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. Windows root system 32 hall. dll .

I cannot boot from a CD now because the messedge does not go away :(. How do I get rid of this? What do I do to install vista? Or should I just install XP? Please can you help me on how I can resolve this problem. Thank you.

This is my first build my specs are:
1gb 1333ghz Crucial DDR3 memory
AMD x2 955 proccecor
M4A785TD-V EVO motherboard
160gb hard drive
Samsung SH-S223 DVD±RW optical drive

This is my first post so sorry if I have made any mistakes.

Soldato
Is the disc dirty or scratched?

Clean disc, place into cd drive
turn machine on, mash the del key
in the bios, find the setting for disc boot order, and change 1st boot device to cd-rom or dvd or atpi or whatevere corresponds to your cd drive, then set hdd to 2nd boot device
now save changes and exit
reboot, it should bring up a widows installation screen
delete the existing partition, make a new one, format it, then install, all within the windows setup
setup should continue and will probably reboot twice
remove cd at the reboot, should work fine

Man of Honour
system 32 hall. dll .

You get this error message when you change a hard disk from one set of hardware to another. Sometimes it works others it doesn't, Hal or (hardware abstraction layer) helps the windows install talk with the hardware you have installed.

On the initial install the os will pick the most relavent HAL for your install and use it to communicate between the windows kernel and the hardware. It sounds to me like your system is trying to boot into an old windows install (installed on the old hardware platform).

Out of interest did you get to the install gui? if so were you trying to install windows over another copy without a format? Or installing to a new drive partition? That fact that it got to installing features suggests that you got past the initial stage and selected a disk to install to. If you can confirm the above it should help with the troubleshooting.

Like the others have said the fact that you cannot boot from cd or are getting blue screens could point to the cd and or a disk problem, both are possible but it could also be something altogether different.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Is the disc dirty or scratched?

Clean disc, place into cd drive
turn machine on, mash the del key
in the bios, find the setting for disc boot order, and change 1st boot device to cd-rom or dvd or atpi or whatevere corresponds to your cd drive, then set hdd to 2nd boot device
now save changes and exit
reboot, it should bring up a widows installation screen
delete the existing partition, make a new one, format it, then install, all within the windows setup
setup should continue and will probably reboot twice
remove cd at the reboot, should work fine

Nope the disk is brand new. I have tried this but it freezes on a black screen which says Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. Windows root system 32 hall. dll .

Associate
OP
And what do you mean you can't boot from a CD now?[/QUOTE]

When it boots the screen freezes with a black background and says Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. Windows root system 32 hall. dll .

I don't think there is anything wrong with the optical drive because it is brand new.

Soldato
Are you sure your computer is trying to boot from the installation disc? Check in your BIOS for the boot order, and put your CD/DVD drive to the top of the list.

Man of Honour
Are you sure your computer is trying to boot from the installation disc? Check in your BIOS for the boot order, and put your CD/DVD drive to the top of the list.

This... if you are getting the error with hal.dll then you are not booting from the cd. You will only get that error if you go past post and try and boot into a hard disk. The error generally occurs if the HAL is corrupted or if you are booting into an install from an different hardware platform (which isn't compatible), for example a single core system will use a different HAL to a multicore system so you may have trouble swapping a hard drive between them.

If you genuinely cant get it to boot from the cd you need to check that the machine is seeing the cd/dvd drive. If its not detecting the cd/dvd in the bios then you might need to check your cables, drive jumpers etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Aye sounds like the dvd is being ignored, thsu why you can't boot from any bootable CD.
You need to go into BIOS, hit del at startup and change the boot order to ask for cd/dvd first.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the help everyone I now have a vista OS. :)
When I checked the boot priority the CD drive was already on top but I put it on top again just in case.

When the message came up again I pressed enter and it booted from the CD. I then formated the main partition.

It completed all the steps this time and booted with vista on it.:D

Back
Top Bottom