Oscar Nominations 2019

Soldato
Haha no, one of the recent great British comedies - Peep Show. Her estranged ex husband takes their kid to an indoor kid's park, his best friend kidnapped a snake from a friend and loses it in the ball bit and Coleman's character gets drunk and passes out in a ball pit.

I am disappoint :( ;)

Man of Honour
Subtlety isn't their middle name.

Coleman has done remarkably well to go from been drunk in a Croydon kid's ball pit with a snake to Oscar nominated. Well done.

If you read/listen to David Mitchells autobiography , which was written a few years ago now (brilliant audiobook btw, Mitchell talking about his life is awesome), he mentions in it a few times how Colman was by far and away the most talented one of their group in University.

Caporegime
black panther is the only film i've seen in the best picture category but i can still say with confidence that it doesn't deserve to win.

i can understand why its there - a lot of people see it as culturally significant - as a film its 'good' at best but not even close to being the best superhero movie last year, never mind best movie overall.

Let's be honest here, the Oscar often doesn't go to the best film...sometimes it goes to the most 'prestige' film.

Does anybody regularly watch 'Crash?'

Saving Private Ryan lost out to Shakespeare in Love in 1999!

Is the Kings Speech better than 'The social network'?

etc etc.

Soldato
Let's be honest here, the Oscar often doesn't go to the best film...sometimes it goes to the most 'prestige' film.

Does anybody regularly watch 'Crash?'

Saving Private Ryan lost out to Shakespeare in Love in 1999!

Is the Kings Speech better than 'The social network'?

etc etc.

to be fair i did like the kings speech!

Caporegime
I think it's a list of meh.

Bohemian rhapsody getting loads, I thought it was an ok film but..

Maybe best actor? I mean it was a decent facsimile of Freddy, but does that deserve an oscar? Maybe in a weak lineup like this.

Caporegime
I'm not sure what point you are making

Shock as Oscar winning actor with a 37 year acting career has better rated movies than man who was unknown 5 years ago and has mainly been in superhero movies?

Last edited:
Soldato
eg. Forest was in platoon at ~26years old, maybe he was lucky with directors, who is matching these kind of credentials today ...
the movie market has changed in the meantime, but why is there no similar talent ... I'm suggesting some of newer generation are not there by merit.

Soldato
the movie market has changed in the meantime, but why is there no similar talent ... I'm suggesting some of newer generation are not there by merit.

It's unclear, are you just talking black talent or talent in general?

I'm sure there was plenty of poor talent around (of any colour) 26 years ago as well and no one remembers them now, its easy to cherry pick a few actors that were and are still great.

It's the same with music, you hear generation after generation talk about all the great music "in their day", at the same time there was a fair amount of terrible music "in their day" but they won't remember that.

Back
Top Bottom