Other YT channels like Heat Geek, Skill Builder?

Soldato
Even though I'm not particularly good at DIY I'm addicted to watching YT channels like Heat Geek, Skill Builder, Urban Plumbers, Artisan Electrics, Heatable, EVM, etc. Anyone got any others that are along similar lines. Would prefer UK based but USA ones would probably be ok too.

I don't know why but I find them relaxing to watch.

I like Roger on the skill builder one. Seems a nice guy. And Robin Clevett. I quite like that plumber dude @plumberparts from time to time. I've been seeing a few of these vids come up recently from @homeimprovements where they did work on Mat Armstrong's garden/house.

I've gone off watching electrician ones in general I think. I don't know why, but I find electrician youtube channels tend to be more about how everything is so dangerously done and they are such a hero for fixing it, and yes we should pay them to the ends of the earth for their work. It's very defensive and samey. Have heard of some of the prices Artisan charge for their work? lol There was one where they wanted to charge over 10K for a bit of rewiring and a new Consumer unit. The guy is a bit two faced as well.

Have heard of some of the prices Artisan charge for their work? lol There was one where they wanted to charge over 10K for a bit of rewiring and a new Consumer unit. The guy is a bit two faced as well.
There was one video where he was charging over £30k for a rewire. Ridiculous figures
Oh yeah, I watch that one too. Hold tight!!

I see Robin Clevett has his own channel too so will check that one out.
Robin Clevett is fantastic, his attention to detail is just incredible

Have heard of some of the prices Artisan charge for their work? lol

There was one video where he was charging over £30k for a rewire. Ridiculous figures
don't know the youtube channel at all but soon as you see the word 'artisan' in the name you should be fully aware they will be rip off merchants - it's almost like the words become synonymous with over pricing and prats.

don't know the youtube channel at all but soon as you see the word 'artisan' in the name you should be fully aware they will be rip off merchants - it's almost like the words become synonymous with over pricing and prats.
There are ripoff merchants and then there is that!
But tbf when he was a smaller channel he wasn't too bad but he very quickly went downhill.

He pretty much called it that for that very reason, to show it was high-end.

He touches on it here at 1:54 and 2:34

onthetrowel YT chanel

Some of the bodges he does on camera are surprising. Not a plasterer I would ever use but then I do most of my own plastering.

I appreciate plasterers often get the last step of making good poor work from other trades, but if it were me I wouldn’t record those.

Some of the bodges he does on camera are surprising. Not a plasterer I would ever use but then I do most of my own plastering.

I appreciate plasterers often get the last step of making good poor work from other trades, but if it were me I wouldn’t record those.
That's interesting I've not seen a bodge of his, care to share? He seems like he does a good job in the videos I've seen.

I've seen another channel Pouse around the House or something who does get comments about bodges.

I'm far from an expert on these things.

Last edited:

10MW - Peter Millard is a thoroughly nice bloke and his vids are great.

Also worth a look at Benchdogs YT stuff - however, they WILL make you spend money!

Roger Bisby videos are very easy to follow.

I also like the I Like To Make Stuff channel.

PlumberParts is ace..

Used to be a guy called My Trusted Electrician but he hasn’t put anything up for donkeys.

Seems every week there’s somebody new - don’t think I’ve have the patience.. or time.

The Artisan guy did a video not that long ago where he was having a kind of breakdown on camera due to the stress of running his business, needing to find work for his guys and the work had dried up a bit and he had them stood around a bit but was still having to pay them.
It was like an entire video where he basically wanted you to feel sorry for him, I'm sorry but when you are charging those prices I can't feel sorry for you 1 bit. If you are charging those kind of prices what have you done with all the money you've made ??

Roger from skillbuilder often gets loads of stick in the comments, but I guess any trade video you watch has people telling them everything they did wrong. He seems ok to me.

Seems every week there’s somebody new - don’t think I’ve have the patience.. or time.
This is just because a few make it as "Youtubers" and everyone fancies a bit of that youtube money.
I run my own business and have often thought about it myself, but every YT channel in my industry has very few followers due to the boring nature of the content.

Last edited:
Extra votes for Robin Clevett, Gosforth Handyman and Charlie DIYte here. I also like Plastering For Beginners, though I think I needn't watch another plastering video in my life. Just need to get on and practise!

Also quite like Rag'n'Bone Brown although there's a lot more storytelling in his content I've found. I do struggle with longer videos when I'm looking for good information on a new task.

Edit: Also quite like Home RenoVision DIY, American (Canadian?) but quite thoughtful and thorough tips.

Last edited:
Love David Savery. Someone posted a link here in another thread for one of his videos and it was a stark difference to the tone of the usual channels you'd see, but also had interesting videos explaining the technical aspects if you cared to listen.

A lot of the channels I've subscribed to already mentioned. One that I haven't seen is @NBundyElectrical which I also enjoy watching. There's also @BuildWithAE if you like watching some high quality builds and restorations.

The only USA based channel I have in my list is @StudPack. It's pretty good although it's not transferrable to here. I remember stumbling upon the channel when looking at suspended flooring repair videos and finding one of theirs.

Currently binging DSE's videos but he seems to not have as many videos out as he used to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom